Go from TOS 6 to TOS 7 safe for Plex Media Server?

Discussion on Plex media server and clients
Post Reply
User avatar
Ozzie
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Sep 2026, 21:23
United States of America

Go from TOS 6 to TOS 7 safe for Plex Media Server?

Post by Ozzie »

Not an NAS expert here so keep that in mind. I did manage to Install my TerraMaster F8 SSD Plus (TOS 6) as a Plex Media Server along with Tailscale with no issues. I am very happy with the performance and all is running smoothly. I am ONLY using the TerraMaster as a Media Server.

Should I update to TOS 7?
My understanding is some have been having issues running TOS 7 with Plex Media Server after the update and I have been hesitating to do so since I am happy running it as it is. Let me know if the bugs have been worked out and if I should do the update.

Thank You
User avatar
Gremlin
Gold Member
Posts: 1766
Joined: 02 Dec 2022, 22:31
Great Britain

Re: Go from TOS 6 to TOS 7 safe for Plex Media Server?

Post by Gremlin »

Ozzie wrote: ↑09 Sep 2026, 21:32 Let me know if the bugs have been worked out and if I should do the update.
Frankly, I'm not sure if they even know where all the bugs are yet :lol:
TOS7 appears to have introduced a lot of changes and those may be catching out the app developers so, strictly speaking, I don't think they are "bugs" in Tos7. Changes in design concepts, maybe :?: :?:
In the case of things like Plex, there seems to be "volume" concerning a lack of updates - not being a fanatic I don't give a "tos" :!:
No one can really tell you if you should do an update - If you are happy with things as they are, then stick with it. If you must have the "very latest available {whatever}" then update.
If you do update, then pay very close attention to the early "Permissions Change" warning that comes with it. Allow the permissions to update automatically AND GIVE TIME for completion. Don't be tempted to rush in during the update to "see what's happening or changed". You should see a system message on completion. {hint: Lots of files take a lot longer.}
F5-221 TOS7.0.1278 - 4x4TB (Ironwolf) Traid
F2-424 TOS7.0.1278 - 2x500GB nvme (P3) Traid, 2x6TB HDD (HGST) Traid
F2-221 TOS7.0.1278 - 1x3TB Ext4, 1x4TB Btrfs
F2-425+ TOS7.0.1278 - 2x500GB nvme (P3) Traid, 2x6TB HDD (EXOS) Traid
User avatar
CursaYang
TM Support
Posts: 953
Joined: 06 Jan 2025, 16:34
China

Re: Go from TOS 6 to TOS 7 safe for Plex Media Server?

Post by CursaYang »

TOS 6 and TOS 7 provide the same version of Plex, 1.43.3.10896. If you are only using the F8 SSD Plus as a Plex media server and are satisfied with the current setup, you can keep it as is.
If you are interested in the new features of TOS 7, you can first refer to our official TOS 7 upgrade notes:
viewtopic.php?t=10183
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @

Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com(for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com(for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
User avatar
Flyingbike
Posts: 13
Joined: 22 Dec 2023, 16:28
France

Re: Go from TOS 6 to TOS 7 safe for Plex Media Server?

Post by Flyingbike »

Plex just released 1.43.4.10903, I successfully installed it manually on TOS7 over 1.43.3.10896 that is the latest available on Terra Master app center.
Post Reply

Return to “Plex Media Server”