how to start over with data?

TerraMaster Snapshot is a disaster recovery tool developed based on the BTRFS file system. Take snapshots of shared folders or iSCSI LUNs and quickly restore data after a disaster by taking advantage of file system features. In TOS 5, Snapshot has been redesigned to add more features and improve the user experience.
jwills70

how to start over with data?

Post by jwills70 »

ok i done a snapshot recovery which is currently being recovered and I am dragging all my files of my nas to USB drives attached

when it started to do the recovery it appears to have split my tnas 130tb into 2 parts
1 part has my files on around 100tb
2 part spare space where my files are being recovered to 30tb

so once its done I want to start over and create a new volume (delete whatever left) so I have my 130tb back not just the 30tb I can currently excess

my next question is this once done I going to want to go back to the start re rebuild my nas storage so I have the full 130tb again not just 30tb that's showing

how do I go about deleting the hard drives and then rebuild the pool ??
do I just delete the volume ??
or do I delete the hard drives

also will this delete the tos ??

if so how do I reinstall it ??
jwills70

Re: how to start over with data?

Post by jwills70 »

???????
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your situation but if you have a snapshot of 'data', the 'data' is not copied or stored in the snapshot. But, If the 'data' is then deleted, the data space is not cleared/released back to the file system - it is merely reallocated to be part of the snapshot. If you copy a snapshot file to another medium it will replicate the full data as it was at the time of the snapshot. If you analyse the file system space via control panel
{Control Panel > Volume > Select > More > Usage}
you will see space allocated to 'Others' which is where snapshots live. As I found, to my cost, this occupied space rapidly increases with multiple snapshots and frequently changing data. And, if for any reason, snapshots are 'lost' but still on the drive(s), it can be a tough time to find them again and get rid of them because they are write protected (even from super admin user).

Hope that helps.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
jwills70

Post by jwills70 »

Gremlin wrote: 27 May 2024, 01:37 I'm not sure if this is relevant to your situation but if you have a snapshot of 'data', the 'data' is not copied or stored in the snapshot. But, If the 'data' is then deleted, the data space is not cleared/released back to the file system - it is merely reallocated to be part of the snapshot. If you copy a snapshot file to another medium it will replicate the full data as it was at the time of the snapshot. If you analyse the file system space via control panel
{Control Panel > Volume > Select > More > Usage}
you will see space allocated to 'Others' which is where snapshots live. As I found, to my cost, this occupied space rapidly increases with multiple snapshots and frequently changing data. And, if for any reason, snapshots are 'lost' but still on the drive(s), it can be a tough time to find them again and get rid of them because they are write protected (even from super admin user).

Hope that helps.
ok my others currently shows 111.26tb others space being used

so are you saying if I delete the snapshots the space will come back ?? if so that would be great
once I have all my files I need that is
or how will I get the space back there's got to be some way
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Because of the changes that have occurred in your system I would not like to answer that. But, now you know why the spacce has been used up, hopefully @TMSupport may be able to offer some insight. (Might help if you could show snapshot lists.)
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
jwills70

Post by jwills70 »

Gremlin wrote: 27 May 2024, 06:33
@TMSupport

have attached picture of snapshots its currently still restoring
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

We are not 100% certain of the situation from your description.
Regarding files that have been taken snapshots, as long as any related snapshots still exist, the files will continue to occupy space unless all related snapshots are deleted.
Generally speaking, when restoring a snapshot, the final capacity will not be greater than your volume capacity itself, but for proper use, it is still recommended to reserve some space. If you want to free up more space, you can consider deleting individual unwanted snapshots.
If this still does not answer your questions, please continue to ask under the original topic.
viewtopic.php?p=35498#p35498
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Snapshot”