TOS 5.1 cannot see SMART data for NVME storage

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
DigitalAnalog
Australia

TOS 5.1 cannot see SMART data for NVME storage

Post by DigitalAnalog »

Hi all - is it normal for TOS to not be able to view/return SMART data from an NVME drive? I'm using a couple of Sabrent 1TB Rockets in my F4-423 running TOS 5.1 and it does not show any SMART data. I get full SMART data from my IronWolf drives though. Any thoughts?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: TOS 5.1 cannot see SMART data for NVME storage

Post by TMroy »

Since there are numerous SSD manufacturers, up to hundreds of them, each manufacturer has customized its own unique firmware according to its own needs. Therefore, without special adaptation, some models of SSDs will not be able to successfully read their SMART information.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

TMroy wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 11:22
What version, if any, of smartctl (smartmontools) is included with current builds of TOS?

Newer versions of that Linux utility do support reading SMART from NVMe.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I am not sure which version of smartctl TOS is currently using, and I need to check it. However, I don't think it has anything to do with the version. Many users of TerraMaster are using NVMe as a cache, and most of them are able to read smart information.

In the meantime, there is an SSD compatibility list, we recommend you choose an SSD from the list.
viewtopic.php?t=3532
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

How did you check the SMART information of NVMe SSD before?
You can also view through different methods:
Go to Control Panel - Scheduled Task, create a new task(custom), choose to execute as a super administrator user, then enter the following preset instructions:

Code: Select all

nvme smart-log /devs/sdza >> /Volume1/public/nvme_smart-log_20240325.txt
nvme smart-log /devs/sdzb >> /Volume1/public/nvme_smart-log_20240325.txt
After completing the task settings, please run it once. Then you can obtain the files containing smart information from "public".
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Holger
Germany

Post by Holger »

Hello, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post! :)

I just bought the F2-424 and use 1x Crucial 64GB SATA-SSD as system drive and 2x WD Red SN700 2TB NVMe as a storage pool with TRAID (~RAID 1).
TOS-Version is 5.1.123.

Control Panel -> Hard Drive -> S.M.A.R.T. reports data for the SATA-SSD but not for the two NVMes.

So I read about getting SMART-Data from NVMe-SSDs and there are mainly two tools:

nvme and smartctl

Nvme worked for me with:

nvme smart-log /dev/sdza >> /Volume1/public/nvme_smart-log_sdza.txt
nvme smart-log /dev/sdzb >> /Volume1/public/nvme_smart-log_sdzb.txt
Smartctl can read SMART-Data from NVMes since version 6.5 too, but needs different device names (nvme0 and nvme1). This works for me:

smartctl -a /dev/nvme0 >> /Volume1/public/ssd_smart-ctl_nvme0.txt
smartctl -a /dev/nvme1 >> /Volume1/public/ssd_smart-ctl_nvme1.txt
Could this different device names for NVMes maybe implemented into TOS to get SMART-Data for NVMes with notification?

Return to “Storage”