The TOS 6 Beta Is Now Available for Public Testing

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
lsoto

Re: The TOS 6 Beta Is Now Available for Public Testing

Post by lsoto »

Apologies, but I didn't found any other thread related to the TOS 6 Beta.
The integrated email is not working for me, and it looks it is due a certificate issue.

-----------------
[terstor_adm@terstor /]# ter_mail -content "Hello"
2024-03-22 15:59:44.828 [INFO] mail addrs: ["XXX@YYY.com"]
remote error: tls: handshake failure
2024-03-22 15:59:46.395 [FATA] remote error: tls: handshake failure
Stack:
1. main.main
/x86/PKGS-lk/Assembly/tosdeamon/cmd/termail/termail.go:112

[terstor_adm@terstor /]#
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

callmeharry wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 22:58
Since an end of life/depreciation statement regarding the 220 & 420 series devices was made earlier in this thread, did ask for a similar statement about the 210 series devices, however it's not officially depreciated yet per this post.

The 210 series currently remains on Linux LTS kernel 4.14.× based TOS 4.2.× builds which said kernel reached end of life in January 2024, however until there's a statement to finally end support, there's a miniscule chance a makeshift newer TOS 5/6 build(s) could become available for the ARM v8 based 210 series devices (RealTek has stopped development of the SoC used in these devices so newer Linux kernel support would need to be developed all in-house by Terra-Master; all NAS device manufacturers that use the same SoC, the RTD1296b, are in the exact same situation as Terra-Master).

Like other NAS device manufacturers, development doesn't necessarily require them to proceed to newer LTS kernels, as traditionally developers will evaluate their time and resources needed for backporting improvements and fixes/patches into the current build versus choosing to update to the next actively supported base LTS kernel, applying their unique customizations and then proceeding to validation of all that effort.

There is a new 211/212 series of devices that use a newer RTD1619b ARMv8.2 SoC, which is already running TOS 5.1 builds out of box & a post regarding TOS 6 builds coming to the latter 212 series in the "near future" was made earlier in this thread here.
DizConnected
United States of America

Post by DizConnected »

Is there a way to take out the internal storage USB and install this directly to the USB device? What about an external USB thumb drive?
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

DizConnected wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 02:46 Is there a way to take out the internal storage USB and install this directly to the USB device? What about an external USB thumb drive?
The internal USB drive is purely for initialization (TOS doesn't get installed to it); there's no user data stored on it as it looks for a certain path on mounted HDD(s) to boot from once TOS has been installed, otherwise it'll load from the USB drive to go through the initial boot (initboot) wizard to install TOS; you can have an external USB initboot drive if the internal one fails & you'd rather not open up the TNAS to replace it.

Future TOS 6 builds could/should gain the ability to choose a system drive per the upcoming feature @ viewtopic.php?f=97&t=5381, however this beta doesn't offer this feature.

Considering that TOS likely makes many & constant read/write operations, using USB flash storage will result in eventual failure of said drive; TOS seemingly needs something that can sustain constant activity like a SSD or mechanical HDD.
DizConnected
United States of America

Post by DizConnected »

Well that explains why they said to take out all of your HDDs to reinstall the OS. I think I have a 1TV M.2 drive in there for cache that isn't all being used, too bad they can install the OS on that.
DizConnected
United States of America

Post by DizConnected »

Well, I guess when they say remove ALL hard drives they mean remove your M.2 SSD too. I shut down the NAS then removed all the Hard Drives from the front of the enclosure, but when I started it back up it is doing the same thing as with the Hard Drives installed. Guess my next step is to crack open the case and remove the M.2 drive and try again.

I also tried the IP/bootloader/#/ but it just gives me a HTTP ERROR 502

There is mention of a method 2 to reinstall the OS but I only see 1 method on the front page of the instructions.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

We have accumulated sufficient case data, and the issues such as the inability to start the TOS UI after the update, incorrect username and password, and the loss of various system files are actually all due to the same problem: the failure of the update. We have included these issues in our subsequent repair plan. Please refrain from repeatedly submitting bug reports on the same issues. At the same time, we very much welcome and look forward to your continued feedback on other bugs.

Users who have experienced failed updates, please follow the instructions below to reinstall TOS 5.1.123. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience! viewtopic.php?t=423
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
DizConnected
United States of America

Post by DizConnected »

Okay no more error reports on this issue, but I don't need to submit any more since I took ALL the drives out of my NAS, including the M.2, and reinstalled TOS 5. Once TOS 5 was reinstalled, I tried the TOS 6 Beta update again, and it installed and is working without any issues so far. I hope everyone else who had issues gets them resolved.
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

TMroy wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 13:48 We have accumulated sufficient case data, and the issues such as the inability to start the TOS UI after the update, incorrect username and password, and the loss of various system files are actually all due to the same problem: the failure of the update. We have included these issues in our subsequent repair plan. Please refrain from repeatedly submitting bug reports on the same issues. At the same time, we very much welcome and look forward to your continued feedback on other bugs.

Users who have experienced failed updates, please follow the instructions below to reinstall TOS 5.1.123. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience! viewtopic.php?t=423
Well, that's interesting because that is what I have done twice now with the same result so what's your explanation for that? :?:
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Tricky wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 17:06
TMroy wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 13:48 We have accumulated sufficient case data, and the issues such as the inability to start the TOS UI after the update, incorrect username and password, and the loss of various system files are actually all due to the same problem: the failure of the update. We have included these issues in our subsequent repair plan. Please refrain from repeatedly submitting bug reports on the same issues. At the same time, we very much welcome and look forward to your continued feedback on other bugs.

Well, that's interesting because that is what I have done twice now with the same result so what's your explanation for that? :?:
If there is a 'bug', then it is likely to happen over again. This is Beta software, not really sure why you are (apparently) surprised. Repeatability of failure is good as it allows developers to track down the issue(s). However, as we all know, users will have their own ideas about how things should be done. Sometimes procedural steps are missed accidentally, sometimes the user will do it deliberately in the belief they "know better", when they should really know better! To comment on your specific question: It's broken! ;)
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)

Return to “Update Notice”