Zigbee2MQTT & rtl433 MQTT are plugged into my NAS USB port via a 4port USB. They work fine, and have been. I bought two more dongles a ZBT-2 and a ZWA . I haven't even tried the ZWA . All my effort is spinning around this zBT-2....
**HA on TNAS (VirtualBox) freezes when ZBT-2 is plugged in — possible TOS/VBox USB passthrough issue?**
Running Home Assistant OS as a VM in VirtualBox on my TerraMaster TNAS. Been happily using Zigbee2MQTT with a Lutron system, and other zigbee bulb and devices that integrates well with Zigbee devices.
Just bought the Home Assistant Connect ZBT-2 to add some CO2 sensors, and as soon as it's plugged in, HA freezes on boot — gets stuck around Supervisor/Thread and never finishes starting. Unplug the ZBT-2 and the same VM boots clean every time.
What I've tried so far:
- Moved it off a USB hub to a direct rear USB 2.0 port (no change)
- Swapped to the dongle's own included cable (no change)
- Reflashed it to Thread firmware from scratch via the official web flasher — confirmed the flash succeeded, and it even booted clean once afterward, but the very next boot froze again with the same symptom
I came across an old thread here where TerraMaster support told someone with a nearly identical setup (HAOS in VirtualBox on TOS, USB Zigbee dongle, freezing on boot) that "VirtualBox currently does not support using the USB device via the USB interface" — which makes me wonder if this is less about my specific dongle and more a TOS/VirtualBox USB passthrough limitation in general. BUT WHY DO 2 USBs work then?
Also have a ZWA-2 (bought by mistake) sitting unplugged — haven't tried it yet, partly because I suspect it'd hit the same wall.
Has anyone gotten a USB radio dongle (ZBT-2, ZWA-2, SkyConnect, Sonoff, etc.) working reliably passthrough'd into a VirtualBox HAOS VM on TOS? Any config tweaks, USB controller settings, or workarounds appreciated — happy to share full VBox.log excerpts if useful.
[Help] ZBT-2 AND TNAS not playing well
- Sohriakoff
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 18 Sep 2026, 22:05

Re: [Help] ZBT-2 AND TNAS not playing well
I decided to opt for a Raspberry PI . needs to be a >3 as far as what I've reasearced . I'll plan to have the ZBT2 and ZWA connected to run thread matter devices. That's my work around. hope this works
Re: [Help] ZBT-2 AND TNAS not playing well
Thank you for your detailed feedback and testing. I have collected your issue and reported it internally. As soon as there is any new progress, I will inform you immediately.
