snapshot recovery everything has gone from my coonected usb drives

TerraMaster Snapshot is a disaster recovery tool developed based on the BTRFS file system. Take snapshots of shared folders or iSCSI LUNs and quickly restore data after a disaster by taking advantage of file system features. In TOS 5, Snapshot has been redesigned to add more features and improve the user experience.
jwills70

Re: snapshot recovery everything has gone from my coonected usb drives

Post by jwills70 »

TMroy wrote: 10 May 2024, 23:48 You better remove all your USB now, and recover your data on your USB, do not wait.
ok follow on
ok it started to restore the data the it appears it was doing a TFSS restore a snapshot of the file system.

Unsure how I managed but still it wiped all 15 usb hard drives 216tb with no warning it was going to do this
upon clicking on the nas from windows it still showed 130tb with 30tb spare and files started to appear as they once was but then when I checked 4 hrs later there was about 10tb restored but my hard drive space had dropped from 98gb used to 108tb used and only 22gb spare

at this rate it would run out of space before it could be all be restored I could not cancel it or get the system to reboot so I pulled the plug and got it to restart as I seen another post where the same thing happened and after a few days it was just restoring 0bytes because the drive was used right up and put it into a read only state

so where do I go from here it showing it took a snapshot just before the restore and usb disks wiped

do I have to do this restore in kk pic attached or do I leave the usb unplugged ??
do I need to wipe somehow volume 1 so I get the space back for the restore to have enough space ?? or what ?? have no ideas if I can just get the files back that are probably still there

I know when I first got the nas I ran into probl,ems and had to run a contisity test or something or a file fix or something where it had to check all the files and then after a week it finished and all the files was back
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
kk.jpg
jwills70

Post by jwills70 »

TMroy wrote: 10 May 2024, 23:48 You better remove all your USB now, and recover your data on your USB, do not wait.
ok it started to restore the data the it appears it was doing a TFSS restore a snapshot of the file system.

Unsure how I managed but still
upon clicking on the nas from windows it still showed 130tb with 30tb spare and files started to appear as they once was but then when I checked 4 hrs later there was about 10tb restored but my hard drive space had dropped from 98gb used to 108tb used and only 22gb spare

at this rate it would run out of space before it could be all be restored I could not cancel it or get the system to reboot so I pulled the plug and got it to restart as I seen another post where the same thing happened and after a few days it was just restoring 0bytes because the drive was used right up and put it into a read only state

so where do I go from here it showing it took a snapshot just before the restore and usb disks wiped

do I have to do this restore in kk pic attached or do I leave the usb unplugged ??
do I need to wipe somehow volume 1 so I get the space back for the restore to have enough space ?? or what ?? have no ideas if I can just get the files back that are probably still there

I know when I first got the nas I ran into problems and had to run a contisity test or something or a file fix or something where it had to check all the files and then after a week it finished and all the files was back will this fix it ??
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

1. Remove all your USB before you restore your snapshot.This issue has been fixed in 5.1.131, please update your system to 5.1.131. In the new release, without unmounting the USB, TOS will not allow you to restore your TFSS.
2. To release your disk space, after you successfully restore your snapshot, delete some snapshots.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jwills70

Post by jwills70 »

TMroy wrote: 12 May 2024, 12:30 1. Remove all your USB before you restore your snapshot.This issue has been fixed in 5.1.131, please update your system to 5.1.131. In the new release, without unmounting the USB, TOS will not allow you to restore your TFSS.
2. To release your disk space, after you successfully restore your snapshot, delete some snapshots.
ok so I have to unplug my USB ???? i have already done that as it wiped all of them as mentioned earlier

how do I successfully restore the snap shot as I don't have the space ??
my drive is 130tb with 95tb used leaving 35tb free
when it started the restore it cleared the folder but still showing 95tb used
after 3 hours the files started to reappear in the now empty folder but I only had 24tb space left

so how will it complete with not enough space ??
the original files must still be there somewhere to be using the space ??

someone else said they had the same problem and ran out of space and it just filed up with 0 bytes files and went into a read only state

so do I allow my system to do the same ??
or do I keep deleting the files as the restore happens so the space does not run out

is there no way to stop this and perhaps mount or something to get the files back that must still be there

also I did try to update to TOS_X642.0_5.0.176_00227_2210111430 it started but then just came up error no other message and stayed as it was
jwills70

Post by jwills70 »

TMroy wrote: 12 May 2024, 12:30
ok i have got myself 100tb of hard drives as the snap shot has started restoring the files but as said I only had 24tb left on my volume so I been moving the restoring files off the nas so it can completely restore everything

my next question is this once done I going to want to go back to the start re rebuild my nas storage so I have the full 130tb again not just 24tb that's showing

how do I go about deleting the hard drives and then rebuild the pool ??
do I just delete the volume ??

also will this delete the tos ??

if so how do I reinstall it ??
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

If you want to reset the storage, you just need to delete the volume and create create the volume. Note that this will delete all applications and snapshots located on the volume at the same time.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jwills70

Post by jwills70 »

TMzethar wrote: 27 May 2024, 11:49 If you want to reset the storage, you just need to delete the volume and create create the volume. Note that this will delete all applications and snapshots located on the volume at the same time.
ok I deleted the volume but now it wont allow me to create a volume it just says no valid data
and showing a storage pool 130tb out of 130tb so what do I do now ??
jwills70

Post by jwills70 »

TMzethar wrote: 27 May 2024, 11:49
ok I deleted the volume but now it wont allow me to create a volume it just says no valid data
and showing a storage pool 130tb out of 130tb so what do I do now ??

do I delete the storage pool ???? not sure what I need to do
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitledp.jpg
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

The reason for the failed deletion could be that the volume is too large and need more time, or one or more applications are occupying the volume.
You can try restarting TNAS and shutting down all containers and applications and try again.
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)

Return to “Snapshot”