F2-212 falls on network, will not power off

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
zollyb

F2-212 falls on network, will not power off

Post by zollyb »

Hello

I am trying to get a new F2-212 unit working. I first tried it with 2 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB drives that are on the compatibility list.

I started saturday 3/2. The system initialized fine and installed TOS, but during the setup of the TRAID I continually had to unplug and reboot it. The sequence:

1. It would stay on the network for about 1-2 hours, showing slow progress in initializing TRAID across the 2 volumes.
2. It would drop off the network. The lights in the front would stay on green solid. The lights in the back, where the LAN cable attaches, would stay on and blink as normal. But the NAS could no long be accessed - no browser access, no ping response, TNAS PC could not find it.
3. The power button did not work to turn in off. I held it down for over a minute, but nothing change.
4. I had to unplug it for it to power off. I waited a minute, them plugged the power cord back in.
5. I press the bower button, it powers on, and now be found on the network. I could log in.
6. Go back to item 1, for the sequence to start again.

The above happened 7 times before I took out the drives to start again. I have a ping monitor checking its network status, so I am recording exactly when it drops from the network.

I tested the drives on other systems and they seemed fine, SMART tests reported no errors. However, just in case, I tried with 2 1TB drives (one WD, one Seagate). This time it stayed up through initializing the TRAID (of course this took a shorter time as the drives are smaller), and I was able to create a share a copy a file onto it. But, overnight, after about 4 hours, it fell off the network again. Just as before, the lights are all on, the power button does not work to turn it off, and I have to unplug the power cord, plug it back in, and press the power button for it to get back onto the network.

You can imagine how frustrating this is. This is the first NAS I have tried to install (currently have Netgear and WD Cloud, which I was looking for this to eventually replace) that has had these sort of setup issues. Any advise on how to further diagnose this, or information I can provide to assist in the diagnosis of this, is appreciated.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: F2-212 falls on network, will not power off

Post by Gremlin »

Were the drives previously used?

What version of TOS?
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
zollyb

Post by zollyb »

Gremlin wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 00:24 Were the drives previously used?

What version of TOS?
No, in all cases (the 2 4TB and 2 1TB) these are brand new drives.

The login screen indicates TOS version as 5.1.73-00078. It is whatever version the unit automatically downloads for initialization in the last 2-3 days.
zollyb

Post by zollyb »

Also, on the Control Panel -> System->Update web page, it shows:

Current TOS version: 5.1.73

BIOS/initBoot version: 313

Available update: Current system is the latest version.
zollyb

Post by zollyb »

I may have found one possible cause: In my previous attempts, I was setting up the storage pool using TRAID and the volume with BTRFS. On my last attempt I used RAID1 for the storage pool and ext4 for the volume. The F2-212 has stayed online for over 14 hours, by far the longest stretch.

Perhaps TRAID ain't all it is cracked up to be. I will do further tests to decide if things remain stable, or if this gets returned and I go with another vendor.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

I don't have any ARM based devices, but I did see this:

viewtopic.php?t=2380

You may be correct.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
zollyb

Post by zollyb »

Unfortunately I may have spoken too soon... after 16 hours, its offline again.

I brought it back online as described above, then tried a copy operation, copying files to it. An hour into the copy... yep, offline again.

Time to return unit, this instability is just not worth it.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gremlin
210 has limited support for BTRFS. But 212 can support higher kernel versions and can support BTRFS. The issue you mentioned may not be related to the situation of the poster. Apart from the possibility that running the service during synchronization may cause excessive usage, we will pay attention to other possible reasons.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Initialization”