bad init boot drive?

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
andrewjs18

bad init boot drive?

Post by andrewjs18 »

hi all,

I must say, I'm a little disappointed in hardware failing already, I think, when my NAS was only running for 2-3 days....

I have the F2-223 NAS. I bought 2 16gb sticks of RAM to upgrade it from the stock 4gb. I installed them a few weeks prior to actually booting the NAS. When I had time to start messing with the new NAS, I got 1 4tb hdd installed, booted the NAS up and installed the OS. I didn't do any other configuring other than setting my username and password. When looking around in the OS, I noticed that only 16gb of the 32gb of RAM was being recognized. A day later I powered the device down from within the OS, took it apart, and swapped where the 2 sticks of RAM were installed to try to narrow down if it was a bad stick of RAM or a bad memory slot on the mobo.

Immediately upon powering on the device after swapping the RAM sticks around, the device just beeps constantly. I powered it down, removed 1 stick, booted it back up and the same thing. I then moved that stick on RAM to the other slot, booted up and more of the same. I eventually removed both new sticks of RAM from the NAS and just installed the 4gb stick that came installed in the device, but it just won't stop beeping continuously, nor am I getting any LAN activity from the NAS, probably because it's not booting.

Thankfully I found this topic viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1455&p=7658&hilit= ... rive#p7658

...which leads me to believe that the init boot drive is corrupted and/or failed. I have a new usb drive coming in from amazon today or tomorrow...
andrewjs18

Re: bad init boot drive?

Post by andrewjs18 »

I guess another issue is: why was only 1 of the 2 sticks of RAM being recognized? Do I have to enable any settings for the device to recognize 32gb of RAM?
Revamp

Post by Revamp »

andrewjs18 wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 01:28 I guess another issue is: why was only 1 of the 2 sticks of RAM being recognized? Do I have to enable any settings for the device to recognize 32gb of RAM?
Hello

Are you on TOS5.1.x..

My last convo with support stated the brand locks for RAM had been dropped so you can use other brands.

Regards RAM.. Just so you know the system should just pick up your new RAM stick without any config, I have not had any issue like that.

I think you may be on the correct track, even though your symptoms give indication of a RAM issue and the fact that you have tried the original 4GB RAM stick again. So I would wait until you have your new boot USB in place.

Just as a helpful friendly advice, It would be good to update your signature with details of your model and what memory you have installed so people can get an idea of your setup.

Just seeds of trout.. Tis all.. :)
F4-423 (24/08/2023)
20GB
2 x M.2 SSD NVMe 500GB 970 EVO Plus
(1 For TOS5 Boot and Apps - 1 For Hyper Cache) with a custom fabricated heatsink (L shaped) to cover both
4 x 1TB IronWolf in TRAID
TOS 5.1.67 + @current
TOS Language - English
andrewjs18

Post by andrewjs18 »

Revamp wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 01:47
andrewjs18 wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 01:28 I guess another issue is: why was only 1 of the 2 sticks of RAM being recognized? Do I have to enable any settings for the device to recognize 32gb of RAM?
Hello

Are you on TOS5.1.x..

My last convo with support stated the brand locks for RAM had been dropped so you can use other brands.

Regards RAM.. Just so you know the system should just pick up your new RAM stick without any config, I have not had any issue like that.

I think you may be on the correct track, even though your symptoms give indication of a RAM issue and the fact that you have tried the original 4GB RAM stick again. So I would wait until you have your new boot USB in place.

Just as a helpful friendly advice, It would be good to update your signature with details of your model and what memory you have installed so people can get an idea of your setup.

Just seeds of trout.. Tis all.. :)
Hi,

I'm pretty sure it was on the latest OS release as this was just installed a few days ago.

I didn't think I'd need to do anything for it to pick up all 32gb of ram, but who knows!

Model: F2-223
RAM: TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) 2666MHz PC4-21300
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}andrewjs18

Have you checked to see if the RAM is recognised in BIOS?
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
andrewjs18

Post by andrewjs18 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}andrewjs18
Gremlin wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 18:56 Have you checked to see if the RAM is recognised in BIOS?
When I connected my hdmi adapter (hdmi to vga) and keyboard, I was getting nothing on the screen, nor any power on the keyboard. I bought a new USB drive but I'm getting an error when I try to install the boot loader on it: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1455&start=90#p29608
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

andrewjs18 wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 13:14 [When I connected my hdmi adapter (hdmi to vga) and keyboard, I was getting nothing on the screen, nor any power on the keyboard.
That sounds like a more fundamental issue. Power supply?
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)

Return to “Initialization”