USB/Internal drive transfer speeds slow now

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
Vman83

USB/Internal drive transfer speeds slow now

Post by Vman83 »

Hi there,

When I first installed TOS5 on my F4-422, I'd get internal drive to drive or USB transfer speeds of 160mb/sec (this was about 5-6mths ago). Now I only get 40mb. Yet when I transfer files from my desktop to NAS via gigabit ethernet hardwire, I can get speeds of 60-70mb/sec.

I'm currently running TOS5 5.1.24.

The drives I'm backing up are WD Red Pro 20TB, all verified as healthy.

Nothing with the system has changed between then and now other than always updating to the latest TOS version.

Any thoughts?
Vman83

Re: USB/Internal drive transfer speeds slow now

Post by Vman83 »

Forgot to add, I did some searching and saw someone with a similar problem referred to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=527

None of this worked.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

It has been fixed in subsequent versions, you can manually download the update package and use it to update TOS.
viewforum.php?f=28
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4548
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Vman83

Post by Vman83 »

Thanks, just a couple of follow-up questions then...

If there's a new version available, how come there's no notification in TOS5 to update?

In general, I've had the issue of installing updates to fix one thing but then something else stops working a couple times now. Can you confirm there are no other reported issues with this update?

For example, I see in the notes that support for hardware acceleration with Celeron J1800/J1900 CPUs is no longer supported but I want to make sure it's isolated to those models as I have the Celeron J3455 and absolutely need hardware acceleration.
Vman83

Post by Vman83 »

More questions.

You gave 2 links, one to the overall forum and another directly to a TOS5 update link. The forum link shows v5.1.37 as the latest but the direct link is v5.1.33. Which one should I be installing?

In both versions it says NOT to install if you have a 2gb partition, which my F4-422 has. So do I install one of these or not?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Whatever you choose to do make sure you have a good backup of everything. Tough when the issue is with USB Copy! Personally I am using windows based backup programme which nicely backs up shared folders to usb on my pc. Plus, I make sure I have a good system configuration backup on my pc (and I know which version each is for).

Before proceeding, carefully check the release notes for the correct upgrade path. It may say "only for 5.1.33 or later"; so if you are not at 5.1.33 (for example) check the release notes for that version; and so on.

I got fouled up on update to 5.1.34. - Just saying. Others seem to get past it ok. However, heed the warnings about system partition size. Support staff tend to forget to mention that, presuming users will have read the warnings about it - then, when it goes pear shaped, they are not deemed responsible.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Vman83

Post by Vman83 »

Thanks!
Funny that a fellow user responds first vs. support.

Yeah, I'm in the process of doing backups now which is what triggered everything. Will be a couple weeks at this rate as I have about 95TB of data to backup.

Good call on checking the versions, I see 5.1.37 needs 5.1.33 first. That partition thing is really worrying me though.

Without a direct response from Terramaster, I guess I'm just stuck with this lackluster transfer speed. Kinda regret getting this unit or at least I should have gone with OpenMediaVault or another Linux OS vs. TOS.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

Vman83 wrote: 14 Jun 2023, 07:41 Thanks!
Funny that a fellow user responds first vs. support.

Without a direct response from Terramaster, …
That's nothing funny about it; the company are literally in a different country and time zone to you, so it's very early morning for them & they are not at work yet.

Users, on the other hand, are all over the place globally and are active at all times of the day.
Vman83

Post by Vman83 »

True, was out of line. Just frustrated and let it get to me but that's no reason to take it out on them.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Vman83
Sorry to hear that your system partition is 2GB. For stable operation, it is recommended that you do not continue to update to a newer version for the time being.
One of the reasons why the newer version is not pushed to your device is that we temporarily found that the newer version is not suitable for devices with 2GB system partitions.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “File Services”