Bonding Two Ethernet Ports Reporting 1gbps

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
quella

Re: Bonding Two Ethernet Ports Reporting 1gbps

Post by quella »

@Gremlin, I think I found the issue. It appears that there are three IPs assigned 101, 102, and 11 (for the bond). However it seems Eth1 and the Bond share the same MAC address. I was hoping to assign a MAC to my router to had out a static IP based on MAC but this may cause an issue as both have the same MAC assigned. I'll continue to play. However, I did get to the point I have 2gbps connection with my two bonded 1gbps switch ports.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

My system is set up to use DHCP but with the ip addresses assigned to the mac of the device.
Note: these addresses must be outside of the DHCP range set in the DHCP server.

eg DHCP range == nnn.nnn.nn.50 - nnn.nnn.nnn.100
assigned addresses == nnn.nnn.nnn.200 and nnn.nnn.nnn.201 (by MAC assignment)

The aggregated bond is assigned nnn.nnn.nnn.200 by the TNAS

However, the TNAS can be addressed on either port if you have special requirements.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
quella

Post by quella »

@Gremlin,

I have moved my DHCP IP pool up a bit and set the interfaces on the NAS to manual configuration. It seems to be working as expected and I'm seeing much better throughput with SSH, SFTP, but struggling with SMB and Mac computers. So, the bond us function, on to other issues to resolve. Tahnsk for your input. It kept me on pace.
pravetz

Post by pravetz »

Hello, I want to join your questions about the aggregation of network adapters in TerraMaster. For aggregation, I use a twisted pair and two gigabit ports. The router I use is mikrotik RB951G-2HnD. This router allows you to create a bound interface in different operating modes. Including 802.3ad, which allows you to aggregate network channels and get 2 gigabits of speed. ( 2 gigabits by the way is written in TerraMaster when creating 802.3ad ). On TerraMaster, I created a bound interface based on two network interfaces. On Mikrotik I created the bound interface:

Code: Select all

/interface bonding
add mode=802.3ad name=bonding1 slaves=ether4,ether5
I added the Bond interface to the bridge. The RB951G-2HnD router is connected in bridge mode to another router that has a DHCP server.
Now the most interesting thing that happens:
1. The interface created by bond works essentially at a speed of 1 gigabit and one network card works, i.e. one port at a speed of 1 gigabit. I tested this and copied the file from several computers to the TerraMaster. As a result, the file transfer went through only one interface, but it should go in bond mode through 2 interfaces.
2. When setting the IP address on the TerraMaster in manual mode, the network address is still requested via DHCP. TerraMaster requests an address to two of its network addresses while in bond mode. In static mode, the IP address should not be requested.

I wrote all this to TerraMaster technical support, but they ignored my appeal and did not take my problem seriously. As a result, technical support said that the bond mode is not supported in the operation of the device, but then they made such an opportunity in the control interface and write about the bond interface in the characteristics of the device. I have F2-221, firmware 5.1.40
pravetz

Post by pravetz »

P.S.
I decided to see what the interface looks like in the TerraMaster system. As a result, two interfaces eth0 and eth1 with MAC addresses 6c:bf:b5:01:cc:a6 and 6c:bf:b5:01:cc:a6 received IP addresses 192.168.66.10 and 192.168.66.11. And also the bond0 interface received the address 192.168.66.10.
The screenshots show that they receive addresses via DHCP and not manually as I indicated in the TerraMaster settings.
Screenshot_11.png
Screenshot_10.png
Screenshot_9.png
Screenshot_8.png
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

pravetz wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 05:08
1. The interface created by bond works essentially at a speed of 1 gigabit and one network card works, i.e. one port at a speed of 1 gigabit. I tested this and copied the file from several computers to the TerraMaster. As a result, the file transfer went through only one interface, but it should go in bond mode through 2 interfaces.
This is perfectly normal. Think of the ethernet cable as a 2 lane highway. The speed limit is 1Gbps. Now add a second "highway". The speed limit (dictated by the ethernet controller) is still only 1 Gbps, but the capacity is doubled. This is "bandwidth". Doesn't help that they adopted same term for both, but they are one and the same. (I borrowed the analogy by the way). So your bonded link still has a limit of 1Gbps (speed) but a bandwith (capacity) of 2Gbps.

The effectiveness of transfers may depend on how you constructed the link. As far as I am aware, TNAS does not (currently) support 802.3ad. Enabling it on your switch may throw up some anomalies. Both ends would have to be able to support 802.3ad. What did you set on TNAS end?
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
pravetz

Post by pravetz »

Gremlin wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 21:43
pravetz wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 05:08
This is perfectly normal. Think of the ethernet cable as a 2 lane highway. The speed limit is 1Gbps. Now add a second "highway". The speed limit (dictated by the ethernet controller) is still only 1 Gbps, but the capacity is doubled. This is "bandwidth". Doesn't help that they adopted same term for both, but they are one and the same. (I borrowed the analogy by the way). So your bonded link still has a limit of 1Gbps (speed) but a bandwith (capacity) of 2Gbps.

The effectiveness of transfers may depend on how you constructed the link. As far as I am aware, TNAS does not (currently) support 802.3ad. Enabling it on your switch may throw up some anomalies. Both ends would have to be able to support 802.3ad. What did you set on TNAS end?
TerraMaster still runs at 1Gbps even if it says 2 Gbps. In reality, one network interface works. TerraMaster is lying about having created a 2 GB link. I checked it with a speed test. Only one link works.
If TerraMaster does not support 802.3ad, then why include this function in the interface? Why then deceive the user and write that an interface with a speed of 2 Gbit has been created. This is nonsense...
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

pravetz wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 04:19 Why then deceive the user and write that an interface with a speed of 2 Gbit has been created.
They don't. 2 interfaces @ with speed of 1Gbps. Bond with BANDWITH of 2Gbps.
pravetz

Post by pravetz »

Gremlin wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 05:47
pravetz wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 04:19 Why then deceive the user and write that an interface with a speed of 2 Gbit has been created.
They don't. 2 interfaces @ with speed of 1Gbps. Bond with BANDWITH of 2Gbps.
Show me a screenshot where you copy files at a speed of 2 Gbps. Prove that the speed is 2 Mbps.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

You really need to study and understand the concepts of bonding. I'm done with this.

Return to “Network & Remote Access”