blocking my F4-210 from the internet

This forum serves as a free discussion zone, intended to facilitate community conversations on topics unrelated to TerraMaster products and services.
cdelicath

blocking my F4-210 from the internet

Post by cdelicath »

F4-210
How do I block this thing from internet access? I only use it as a local file server and this POS got hit by ransomware last night.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: blocking my F4-210 from the internet

Post by Gremlin »

As a first guess I would imagine you have left upnp enabled on nas and/or router. Always a bad idea. Your first line of defence should be your internet gateway for your network. If that is locked up it will keep a lot of the dross out. Any port forwarding on your router can always leave you exposed as well. This has little to do with the nas itself if network is secure. However note you have an older nas version and may not be up to date with more recent security fixes.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
cdelicath

Post by cdelicath »

Yeah I'm sure that was the case. I shut that off and software is up to date. I will check the router. Not sure what to do with the gateway settings but I guess a few hours or reading and research now will save me from 16 hours of restoring backups down the road.
Thanks
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Don't forget to check other devices are clear. Once in, malware, viruses, etc have a habit of hiding and hitting later.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
cdelicath

Post by cdelicath »

Yeah I went ahead and wiped everything on the NAS drives and reinstalled OS. Scanned all non OS drives outside the NAS and currently in the process of restoring NAS from offsite cloud backup. That's the best I can think to do to be safe. I have never had this happen before.

Return to “Lounge and Boast”