Loss of IP address on reboot

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
bidmead
Great Britain

Loss of IP address on reboot

Post by bidmead »

This device is the F4-223 running TOS 5.1.123. With this version of the operating system, and, I seem to remember, with previous versions, I've found that after shutting down the system, whether to upgrade the firmware or simply to give it a rest, on powering up again it enters a state where it can't be found on the LAN, as it apparently has no IP address.

In this state all the drive lights are lit with no apparent sign of activity. A second reboot invariably seems to restore its original IP address and return it to the LAN. This LAN-connected state is visibly recognisable, characterised by flickering drive lights.

The F4-223 connects to the LAN over the LAN 2 (uppermost) RJ-45 connector. The IP address is assigned statically.

I'm reporting this conversationally to see if others here have encountered this bug. If not, I'm happy to live with it until TOS 6 arrives. If others here do recognise the issue I shall pursue it more closely and report in detail.

--
Chris
TMpraj
China

Re: Loss of IP address on reboot

Post by TMpraj »

Hello, when you upgrade or restart your system, have you ever tried using a TNAS PC to obtain the IP address of your NAS?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

Thanks for that swift response, @TMpraj. Much appreciated. Let me clarify:
  • As this address is static, I would not expect it to change when the machine is power cycled.
  • If this port's address were dependent on a DHCP server I would expect it to be handed an address consistent with the subnet. This isn't what's happening. (And I can't see why it would reliably return to its static address on a second boot.)
  • TNAS PC no longer seems to be offered for Linux, which is the desktop operating system I'm using here.
  • I have other methods than TNAS PC for determining the addresses of devices on my LAN. It's clear to me that in the circumstances I've documented the F4-223 isn't receiving an IP address consistent with my local subnet.
By the way, I've since confirmed that even after returning from a software reboot the Ethernet port becomes invisible to the local subnet.

If you're able to reproduce this on your own systems let me know and I'll experiment further at this end.

--
Chris
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Just for clarity, can you determine what IP your device is getting on reboot? or is it just not responding to the network?

[FYI I have 2 devices running TOS5 and TOS6, one device shuts down every night and reboots every morning on schedule. Both devices have static IPs. Never seen anything such as you describe.]
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

We may need more details to speculate on the issue you are facing.
Do you use a router or set a fixed static IP on TOS?
Can you try a few more times to confirm its pattern? Is there always no IP on the first boot, but is there an IP on the second boot? Or is it random?
Do you encounter the same problem when starting TNAS without installing any hard drives?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Network & Remote Access”