TerraMaster TRAID+: Elevating Disk Array Management

More about TOS 6 new features and improvements.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

TerraMaster TRAID+: Elevating Disk Array Management

Post by TMroy »

Since its inception in TOS 5, TerraMaster's TRAID has garnered acclaim for its flexible disk array management capabilities. With features like automatic disk space aggregation, redundancy protection against hard drive failures, and seamless expansion, TRAID has become a go-to tool for users. Now, with TOS 6, TerraMaster unveils TRAID+'s upgraded version, offering an elevated standard of data storage security.

Know more about TerraMaster TRAID

TRAID+: Redefining Redundancy

TRAID+ not only inherits TRAID's outstanding features but also breaks new ground in redundancy protection. While traditional TRAID ensures failure redundancy for one hard drive, TRAID+ doubles this safeguard to cover two drives, significantly bolstering data security. This enhancement positions TRAID+ as the premier choice for users prioritizing data integrity.

Operational Framework: Harnessing RAID 6 Principles

TRAID+'s operational framework mirrors that of RAID 6. It partitions disk space into multiple storage units and utilizes RAID 6 characteristics to amalgamate them into a versatile array configuration. This approach guarantees data reliability and exceptional storage efficiency. However, building a TRAID+ array mandates a minimum of four disks, and when migrating from TRAID to TRAID+, the added disks must match or exceed the smallest disk in the original TRAID array's capacity.

Target Audience: Elevated Data Security Demands

Given TRAID+'s requirement for a minimum of four disks, with two dedicated to redundancy, users must accept a trade-off between storage space and enhanced data security. As such, TRAID+ caters more to professional or commercial users with stringent data security needs and the financial means to support it. For these users, investing in TRAID+ promises significant returns in data protection and peace of mind.

How to migrate from TRAID to TRAID+?

A fully constructed TRAID system can indeed be upgraded to TRAID+. However, due to differences in their working principles, migrating from TRAID to TRAID+ requires fulfilling specific conditions.
Firstly, considering that TRAID+ requires two additional hard drives as redundant disks, a prerequisite for the migration is that your array must have a sufficient number of hard drives to support this change.
Secondly, the newly added hard drives also need to match the capacity of the existing hard drives or meet the requirements of TRAID+ to ensure a smooth data migration and efficient utilization of storage space. Detailed migration requirements and steps will be outlined in the TRAID+ operation manual. Please stay tuned for more information.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
topo01
Germany

Re: TerraMaster TRAID+: Elevating Disk Array Management

Post by topo01 »

That's great news!

And how about Desaster Recovery in case of other failures not HHD failure? E.g. if a system update fails and the system won't boot? Can the discs be read if sticked into a Linux computer?
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

No, other linux system can't load the storage pool built with TRAID or TRAID+, you need to fix the faulty system or load your drives in other TNAS device.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

Thanks for your direct reply!
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
Brodieman
United States of America

Post by Brodieman »

Synology has their RAID type too, SHR I think it's called. They have a RAID calculator to check different configs with different RAID types. Does Terramaster have a raid calc to play with storage types and configurations?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Brodieman wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 23:43
Not yet, but it is on our to-do list.
Brodieman
United States of America

Post by Brodieman »

Awesome thanks. I think I'm going to blow up my raid when TOS6 comes out. I would to play with different configs.
turing
Canada

Post by turing »

This is very good news.
There were two reasons that I purchased a T12-450 - TRAID+ and support for drives > 18TB, as my Synology DS1821+ got very upset with 20TB drives...
I've waited months for this - when I first got my TerraMaster box, all the online documentation indicated that TRAID+ was available, but it clearly wasn't... and then all the references to TRAID+ were removed when I asked how to migrate from TRAID to TRAID+.
Hopefully it won't be too much more of a wait for the non-Beta release of TOS 6 and TRAID+!

Return to “Know More About TOS 6”