Transfer speed and network configuration

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
cactusnas

Transfer speed and network configuration

Post by cactusnas »

Hi everyone
from today I'm starting to backup my files on the NAS, and I want to share my results with you to understand if they can improve.
my current configuration:

T12-450 with
x12 HDD Seagate Ironwolf 6TB in RAID 6
x2 NVMe SSD samsung 1TB for Hyper cache in RAID 1
2.5Gbps network - connected directly to the NAS.

On average the data transfer speed from my Mac to the NAS is around 40 - 50 Mib/s.
To copy I'm using Filezilla via FTP because after various tests between SMB and TOS it seemed like the most stable and fastest procedure.

How do you like the transfer speed? Can it be improved?
Consider that during the day here in the office the same network is shared by six or seven other PCs (which in any case do not do much network activity other than the browser).

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-14 alle 15.11.07.png
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: Transfer speed and network configuration

Post by Gremlin »

cactusnas wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 22:12 How do you like the transfer speed?
I don't think I would like it. Using Windows 10 on a 1Gbe link I do see > 80MB/s, although it does vary (The saturation point would be about 110 depending on (in)efficiencies. If you have 2.5Gbe all the way (using Cat6 or better cables) I would expect better. (Something in the order of 250MB/s +/- some). It does all depend on the types of file being transferred, of course. Other factors to think about might be encryption and compression.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

cactusnas wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 22:12
Is your RIAD syncing completed? During array synchronization, the read-write performance will be greatly affected. In addition, the transmission of directories containing many small files will also seriously affect transmission performance.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
cactusnas

Post by cactusnas »

TMroy wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 23:35
cactusnas wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 22:12
Is your RIAD syncing completed? During array synchronization, the read-write performance will be greatly affected. In addition, the transmission of directories containing many small files will also seriously affect transmission performance.
yes, sync is all complete.
Maybe i will check cat for the LAN cables.
Dont'know what other improvement can I do with actual network set up (2.5Gbps in a shared office with seven people).
cactusnas

Post by cactusnas »

Gremlin wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 23:28
cactusnas wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 22:12 How do you like the transfer speed?
I don't think I would like it. Using Windows 10 on a 1Gbe link I do see > 80MB/s, although it does vary (The saturation point would be about 110 depending on (in)efficiencies. If you have 2.5Gbe all the way (using Cat6 or better cables) I would expect better. (Something in the order of 250MB/s +/- some). It does all depend on the types of file being transferred, of course. Other factors to think about might be encryption and compression.
are you sure it can go up to 250Mbps? Even the max valor of the graph in the resource monitor is 120Mbps
However, i am using NAS to back up Huge folders of RAW camera footage. S o many file are 3 or 5 gb, the entire folder up to 2TB.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

cactusnas wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 23:59 Even the max valor of the graph in the resource monitor is 120Mbps
The graph in my display currently reads max 0.05MBps :lol: It's variable.
Multiple users accessing the nas will, naturally, have an effect. I was talking single user, basically ideal conditions.
2500Mb/s / 8 bits/byte == 312MB/s less overheads and inefficiencies.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Are you using MAC's WIFI connection to the network? Perhaps you can also check the WIFI speed and RJ45 interface speed of MAC and the network cable standards used.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “File Services”