Page 1 of 1
Files being renamed
Posted: 12 Mar 2024, 05:05
by REBELinBLUE
On TOS 4 any files with an apostrophes in the name gets renamed when using the file manager, the last word on this was that it was fixed in TOS 5
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2503&start=10#p18380
But what do we do if running a device like the F4-210 which you have still not released TOS 5 for
Re: Files being renamed
Posted: 15 Mar 2024, 22:01
by brunix86
Hi,
I have a F4-423 (x86-64) with TOS 5.1.123 and have the same problem!
I cannot use the apostrophe when I create\rename files and folders in TOS 5.1 and TNAS Mobile 3.
And if files and folders already have this character, the TOS File Manager will remove it automatically.
Below the proof of this:
special chars warning.jpeg
TOS 5 Warning.jpeg
I don't understand how TM has solved the issue.
Re: Files being renamed
Posted: 15 Mar 2024, 22:10
by TMeric
brunix86 wrote: ↑15 Mar 2024, 22:01
Hi,
I have a F4-423 (x86-64) with TOS 5.1.123 and have the same problem!
I cannot use the apostrophe when I create\rename files and folders in TOS 5.1 and TNAS Mobile 3.
And if files and folders already have this character, the TOS File Manager will remove it automatically.
Below the proof of this:
special chars warning.jpeg
TOS 5 Warning.jpeg
I don't understand how TM has solved the issue.
File names cannot contain special characters primarily due to compatibility and portability considerations. Varying operating systems and file systems may have different levels of support and restrictions when it comes to file names. In order to facilitate seamless file exchange and sharing across different platforms, it is generally advised to refrain from including special characters in file names.
Re: Files being renamed
Posted: 15 Mar 2024, 23:03
by brunix86
Hi,
I understand what do you mean about special characters in general.
But the question remains about the apostrophe character, that is perfectly supported by TOS (from version 4.x) via SSH and SMB (and also FTP).
So, I don't understand why via SSH and SMB I can use the apostrophe, whereas only in TOS File Manager the apostrophe cannot be used.
Re: Files being renamed
Posted: 16 Mar 2024, 02:22
by REBELinBLUE
TMeric wrote: ↑15 Mar 2024, 22:10
brunix86 wrote: ↑15 Mar 2024, 22:01
Hi,
I have a F4-423 (x86-64) with TOS 5.1.123 and have the same problem!
I cannot use the apostrophe when I create\rename files and folders in TOS 5.1 and TNAS Mobile 3.
And if files and folders already have this character, the TOS File Manager will remove it automatically.
Below the proof of this:
special chars warning.jpeg
TOS 5 Warning.jpeg
I don't understand how TM has solved the issue.
File names cannot contain special characters primarily due to compatibility and portability considerations. Varying operating systems and file systems may have different levels of support and restrictions when it comes to file names. In order to facilitate seamless file exchange and sharing across different platforms, it is generally advised to refrain from including special characters in file names.
I am sorry but that is a nonsensical response, the filesystem that TOS is running on does support those characters, that should be the only thing which dictates it not what other systems support; you can transfer files via SMB, SFTP or SSH fine and they will be created fine, TOS GUI file manager should not just randomly rename people's filenames