Files being renamed

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
REBELinBLUE

Files being renamed

Post by REBELinBLUE »

On TOS 4 any files with an apostrophes in the name gets renamed when using the file manager, the last word on this was that it was fixed in TOS 5 viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2503&start=10#p18380

But what do we do if running a device like the F4-210 which you have still not released TOS 5 for
brunix86
Italy

Re: Files being renamed

Post by brunix86 »

Hi,

I have a F4-423 (x86-64) with TOS 5.1.123 and have the same problem!
I cannot use the apostrophe when I create\rename files and folders in TOS 5.1 and TNAS Mobile 3.
And if files and folders already have this character, the TOS File Manager will remove it automatically.
Below the proof of this:
TNAS Mobile 3 when create or rename folder or file with apostrophe
TNAS Mobile 3 when create or rename folder or file with apostrophe
TOS 5.1 when create or rename folder or file with apostrophe
TOS 5.1 when create or rename folder or file with apostrophe
I don't understand how TM has solved the issue.
My NAS Environment
  • TNAS F4-423
  • TOS 5.1.123-00529 (8GB System Partition)
  • 2x RAM Terramaster 4GB DDR4 2133 MHZ
  • 2x HDD WD RED PLUS 4TB CMR [RAID1]
  • UPS Tecnoware ERA PLUS 1100 [770 W]
Play your console games on PC!
TMeric
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMeric »

brunix86 wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 22:01 Hi,

I cannot use the apostrophe when I create\rename files and folders in TOS 5.1 and TNAS Mobile 3.
And if files and folders already have this character, the TOS File Manager will remove it automatically.
Below the proof of this:
special chars warning.jpeg
TOS 5 Warning.jpeg
File names cannot contain special characters primarily due to compatibility and portability considerations. Varying operating systems and file systems may have different levels of support and restrictions when it comes to file names. In order to facilitate seamless file exchange and sharing across different platforms, it is generally advised to refrain from including special characters in file names.
brunix86
Italy

Post by brunix86 »

TMeric wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 22:10
Hi,
I understand what do you mean about special characters in general.
But the question remains about the apostrophe character, that is perfectly supported by TOS (from version 4.x) via SSH and SMB (and also FTP).
So, I don't understand why via SSH and SMB I can use the apostrophe, whereas only in TOS File Manager the apostrophe cannot be used.
My NAS Environment
  • TNAS F4-423
  • TOS 5.1.123-00529 (8GB System Partition)
  • 2x RAM Terramaster 4GB DDR4 2133 MHZ
  • 2x HDD WD RED PLUS 4TB CMR [RAID1]
  • UPS Tecnoware ERA PLUS 1100 [770 W]
Play your console games on PC!
REBELinBLUE

Post by REBELinBLUE »

TMeric wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 22:10
brunix86 wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 22:01 Hi,

Below the proof of this:
special chars warning.jpeg
TOS 5 Warning.jpeg
File names cannot contain special characters primarily due to compatibility and portability considerations. Varying operating systems and file systems may have different levels of support and restrictions when it comes to file names. In order to facilitate seamless file exchange and sharing across different platforms, it is generally advised to refrain from including special characters in file names.
I am sorry but that is a nonsensical response, the filesystem that TOS is running on does support those characters, that should be the only thing which dictates it not what other systems support; you can transfer files via SMB, SFTP or SSH fine and they will be created fine, TOS GUI file manager should not just randomly rename people's filenames

Return to “Storage”