Connecting D4-300 DAS to F2-223 NAS

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
philh77
Great Britain

Connecting D4-300 DAS to F2-223 NAS

Post by philh77 »

Have just received my D4-300. Installed a single 2TB Seagate disk for testing purposes and connected to my F2-223 NAS using the enclosed USB cable, however the DAS is not recognised as a USB connected device in TOS. The disk light on the DAS is green. Have tried rebooting the NAS and both USB connections on the NAS, but no change.

I cannot find any specific instructions for connecting a DAS. Would be grateful for any assistance.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Connecting D4-300 DAS to F2-223 NAS

Post by TMzethar »

Have you created a file system for the USB drive?
If you have created a suitable file system for USB drives, TNAS will recognize them and mount them to file management.
If you haven't created a file system yet, TNAS will only recognize USB drives as hard drives.
You can create a file system for a USB drive in TOS>Control Panel>USB device or on a PC.(if you haven't created it yet).
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
philh77
Great Britain

Post by philh77 »

I ended up initializing the HD in Windows, and formatting the drive. Then created folders. I've mapped as a network drive in Windows and have uploaded files.

Am I correct in thinking that I can only use folders? Or is it possible to partition the USB hard drive?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

If you want to use it as a local disk, you can consider using the iSCSIs feature, but the iSCSIs feature does not support USB external storage.
You can consider making USB external storage disks into TNAS storage pools, so that the disks can be used by iSCSIs and shared with PCs as virtual disks.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
philh77
Great Britain

Post by philh77 »

Thanks for this. Where can I find out further details?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

This may help you configure the iSCSIs service. For the specific connection method, you may need to get a reference from the Internet.
https://help.terra-master.com/TOS5/view ... I%20Target
philh77
Great Britain

Post by philh77 »

Thanks for the information. I discovered that disks in the USB enclosure can in fact be used to create storage pools, so have managed to go down this route.

Return to “USB Series”