Folders missing after reboot

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
dodgyroge

Folders missing after reboot

Post by dodgyroge »

Hi,
I have had my T12-423 for about a week now (running TOS 5.1.123-00529). I have three 16TB HDDs in a RAID 5 (Volume 1) a single 18TB (Volume 2) and four 2TB HDDs in a RAID 5 (Volume 3).
On Saturday afternoon, my system was very sluggish, LOAD running at 100%, CPU running at around 99% with only PLEX server running (only PLEX server and Multimedia server installed). So I checked for information online and found that the best idea was to reboot the TNAS. I rebooted, as instructed, via the TOS desktop and when it rebooted the machine began to synchronise Volume 1. In the meantime, I was unable to access any of the data I had stored and only my PC Windows 10 back up and the Public shared folder was visible on Volume 1. Now that the sync has completed, I still do not have access to any of the folders (my stored data) on Volume 1. I then had to uninstall PLEX server and install it again (I also uninstalled Multimedia server). The data is still present as I can access my video files through the PLEX server, I just cannot access the folders using either File Manager on TOS5 desktop, or via windows explorer (on a mapped drive).
I also had a shared folder on Volume 2, which has also vanished (with the Storage Manager/Volume stating the data is still taking up the space on the drive). For this, I have tried Privileges/Shared Folder/Advanced Settings/Restore shared folders, but that didn't work and the Volumes are still showing the space being used.
This is my first NAS and I was pretty impressed with it until this happened. There were (and are) no faults or errors showing across any of the HDDs. Plus, Windows 10 just told me that the latest back-up did not take place as the target location was not found.
How can I access the missing folders? they are obviously still there with all of the data on them as PLEX can access it without any problems.
Thank you.
Preethi

Re: Folders missing after reboot

Post by Preethi »

dodgyroge wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 09:46 Hi,
I have had my T12-423 for about a week now (running TOS 5.1.123-00529). I have three 16TB HDDs in a RAID 5 (Volume 1) a single 18TB (Volume 2) and four 2TB HDDs in a RAID 5 (Volume 3).
On Saturday afternoon, my system was very sluggish, LOAD running at 100%, CPU running at around 99% with only PLEX server running (only PLEX server and Multimedia server installed). So I checked for information online and found that the best idea was to reboot the TNAS. I rebooted, as instructed, via the TOS desktop and when it rebooted the machine began to synchronise Volume 1. In the meantime, I was unable to access any of the data I had stored and only my PC Windows 10 back up and the Public shared folder was visible on Volume 1. Now that the sync has completed, I still do not have access to any of the folders (my stored data) on Volume 1. I then had to uninstall PLEX server and install it again (I also uninstalled Multimedia server). The data is still present as I can access my video files through the PLEX server, I just cannot access the folders using either File Manager on TOS5 desktop, or via windows explorer (on a mapped drive).
I also had a shared folder on Volume 2, which has also vanished (with the Storage Manager/Volume stating the data is still taking up the space on the drive). For this, I have tried Privileges/Shared Folder/Advanced Settings/Restore shared folders, but that didn't work and the Volumes are still showing the space being used.
This is my first NAS and I was pretty impressed with it until this happened. There were (and are) no faults or errors showing across any of the HDDs. Plus, Windows 10 just told me that the latest back-up did not take place as the target location was not found.
How can I access the missing folders? they are obviously still there with all of the data on them as PLEX can access it without any problems.
Thank you.
Firstly, it's essential to remain calm and systematically troubleshoot the problem. Since PLEX can still access your video files, it suggests that the data is intact but inaccessible through traditional means like the TOS5 desktop or Windows Explorer.

Here are a few steps you could try:

Check Volume Status: Verify the status of Volume 1 and Volume 2 in the Storage Manager to ensure they are recognized by the system and not in a degraded state.

Permissions and Shared Folders: Double-check the permissions and shared folder settings to ensure they are correctly configured. Attempt to restore shared folders as you've already tried, and ensure that the permissions allow access to the folders.

Reboot and Reconnect: Try rebooting your NAS again and see if the folders reappear. Also, try reconnecting your NAS to your Windows 10 system to ensure proper communication.

Contact Support: If the issue persists, consider reaching out to technical support from the manufacturer. They may be able to provide specific troubleshooting steps or escalate the issue if necessary.

It's understandable to feel frustrated by such unexpected issues, but with patience and methodical troubleshooting, you should be able to resolve the problem and regain access to your missing folders. Additionally, documenting the steps you've taken and any error messages encountered can be helpful when seeking assistance from support channels.
dodgyroge

Post by dodgyroge »

thanks for your help.

Check Volume Status: Volume status is fine, no degraded drives.

Permissions and Shared Folders: I did try this already, but I gave it another try. and another. on the third time the shared folder appeared from volume 2 and data is now accessible. why it didn't work the first times I don't know.

Reboot and Reconnect: after a reboot (and thankfully the volumes didn't sync this time!) the folders appeared for a short time and then disappeared again. weirdly, the folders are still accessible from PLEX server, but I just cannot access them from TOS desktop or from my mapped drive.

I clicked the HELP icon on the TOS desktop and was taken to a oops! page. Link not working.
I will now try to contact their support through webchat. I was hoping I may get a response from their helpdesk on here.

thanks again. If you have any further ideas, please throw them at me.
dodgyroge

Post by dodgyroge »

Ok, so I rebooted the TNAS again and the folders reappeared. Great!

Return to “Storage”