Terramaster TD2 missing from My Computer

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
deetee

Terramaster TD2 missing from My Computer

Post by deetee »

Start using Terramaster TD2 not long ago.
Using RAID 1
mainly for storage purposes. Access it time to time.

Then i notice that sometimes the disk will just gone missing from "my computer"
Open up Disk Management, i do not see my TD2 disk either...

Unplug and replug back the cable, it clearly detects new device connected (there's a sound played during unplug and plug), but the disk still does not appear in "my computer" nor the disk management.

Restart windows does not help either.

Only way to get it reappear back is to hold on TD2 power button until TD2 shutdown, then click on the power button again. then it will appear back in "my computer" and disk management. (Is this method okay for me to execute? or will it damage my TD2 if i do it too often?)

Anyone knows what happen to my TD2? and how do i have it stay connected and detected 24/7?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Terramaster TD2 missing from My Computer

Post by TMzethar »

Hi.
Are you using a DAS device with Thunderbolt interface? What is its model number?
Please try restarting the computer and using it for a period of time to observe if there are any similar issues.
Or replace the interface and use it for a period of time to observe if there are any similar issues.
Or replace the computer and use it for a period of time to observe if there are any similar issues.
It is also possible that there is a compatibility issue with the hard drive. Please try replacing it with a hard drive listed in the compatibility list, use it for a period of time, and observe if there are any similar issues.
https://www.terra-master.com/global/compatibility/
It is also possible that there is a file system error. Please try using system tools to fix it and then use it for a period of time to observe if there are any similar issues.
Or backup the data, then reformat it and use it for a period of time to observe if there are any similar issues. (It is recommended to use NTFS for Windows and APFS for Mac)
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
SonopaalFounik

Post by SonopaalFounik »

It seems your Terramaster TD2 is experiencing intermittent connection issues. Holding the power button for shutdown isn't ideal and could affect drive health if done frequently. Here are some suggestions:

Identify the problem:

Connection: Check cables (USB or network) for secure connections and possible damage. Try different ports or cables.
Drivers: Update your Windows drivers for USB controllers or network adapters (depending on your connection).
TD2 Firmware: Check for and install any available firmware updates on the Terramaster website.
RAID issues: In Disk Management, look for any error messages or warnings related to your RAID 1 configuration.
Possible solutions:

Disable Fast Startup: In Windows power settings, disable Fast Startup as it can sometimes interfere with external drives.
Change Power Settings: Go to Device Manager > Disk drives > TD2 properties > Power Management tab, and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
Schedule Shutdown/Startup: Consider setting automatic shutdown and startup times for the TD2 to avoid manual power toggles.
Contact Terramaster Support: If the issue persists, reach out to Terramaster support for further diagnosis and assistance.
Remember, holding the power button for shutdown should only be a last resort. For long-term stability, addressing the root cause of the disconnection is crucial.

I hope this helps!
deetee

Post by deetee »

Thank you very much guys for the responses.
This issue only happens occasionally, and i've no clue what triggers it to happen.
As for now, been running TD2 without shutting down my computer and TD2 for 2 days... still connecting just fine.
TMzethar wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 15:38 Hi.
Are you using a DAS device with Thunderbolt interface? What is its model number?
Please try restarting the computer and using it for a period of time to observe if there are any similar issues.
Or replace the interface and use it for a period of time to observe if there are any similar issues.
Or replace the computer and use it for a period of time to observe if there are any similar issues.
It is also possible that there is a compatibility issue with the hard drive. Please try replacing it with a hard drive listed in the compatibility list, use it for a period of time, and observe if there are any similar issues.
https://www.terra-master.com/global/compatibility/
It is also possible that there is a file system error. Please try using system tools to fix it and then use it for a period of time to observe if there are any similar issues.
Or backup the data, then reformat it and use it for a period of time to observe if there are any similar issues. (It is recommended to use NTFS for Windows and APFS for Mac)
I use DAS directly with motherboard.
My motherboard is Asus ProArt B550 Creator
I couldnt find my hard drive in the compatibility list, as the list is only up to 1TB-2TB
Im using Western Digital 4TB, WD40EFPX model for both hard drive. Will this cause compatible issue?
Hard drive is already on NTFS.
How do i check file system error ya? I'm not tech savvy. I use CrystalDiskInfo to check, seems all good.
SonopaalFounik wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 19:45 It seems your Terramaster TD2 is experiencing intermittent connection issues. Holding the power button for shutdown isn't ideal and could affect drive health if done frequently. Here are some suggestions:

Identify the problem:

Connection: Check cables (USB or network) for secure connections and possible damage. Try different ports or cables.
Drivers: Update your Windows drivers for USB controllers or network adapters (depending on your connection).
TD2 Firmware: Check for and install any available firmware updates on the Terramaster website.
RAID issues: In Disk Management, look for any error messages or warnings related to your RAID 1 configuration.
Possible solutions:

Disable Fast Startup: In Windows power settings, disable Fast Startup as it can sometimes interfere with external drives.
Change Power Settings: Go to Device Manager > Disk drives > TD2 properties > Power Management tab, and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
Schedule Shutdown/Startup: Consider setting automatic shutdown and startup times for the TD2 to avoid manual power toggles.
Contact Terramaster Support: If the issue persists, reach out to Terramaster support for further diagnosis and assistance.
Remember, holding the power button for shutdown should only be a last resort. For long-term stability, addressing the root cause of the disconnection is crucial.

I hope this helps!
A bit hard to identify the problem as it only happen once in a while, but i already disable fast startup. hopefully it helps.
Cant really find the "allow computer to turn off this device to save power" option though.

May i ask, if we are not suppose to holding the power button for shutdown, how do we normally shutdown TD2?
After ejecting TD using "safely remove hardware and eject media" button, how do we normally shutdown our TD2 to maintain disk health?

Return to “Thunderbolt 3 Series”