Centralized backup Destinationfolder selection empty

Centralized Backup is a professional disaster recovery tool specially developed for business users. By using Centralized Backup, company IT managers can use TNAS as the central backup server, without having to configure each host separately, and use TNAS as the initiator to centrally back up the storage space of internal employee computers, workstations, servers, virtual machines, or even is the system partition.
Bernhard.Wuest

Centralized backup Destinationfolder selection empty

Post by Bernhard.Wuest »

Hello all,
I am trying to get centralized backup to work. I downloaded the client on the windows PC and installed it. I connected successfully to the service and see the PC in the centralized backup app on the server.
When I want to setup a backup I can select the PC and the source but when I click on the folder symbol next to the destination field a window opens that only shows some chinese letter but not folders on my server and there is nothing I can select.
I am using German as the language in TOS 5. Changed it to english to test without sucess.
Needless to say that I can access the shares on my server without problems
Can you please help and advice
TMcola
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Centralized backup Destinationfolder selection empty

Post by TMcola »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Bernhard.Wuest
Hello,what's your TOS version? Can you send us the screenshots of the Chinese letter and the failure to select the folder?
Bernhard.Wuest

Post by Bernhard.Wuest »

Hello all,

all done already.
Added the TOS Version and the screen i get when selecting the backup folder.
Off course I tried uninstalling and installing and changing the interface language to english.
AND!! I do have a second NAS which is setup for our second house and it shows exactly the same behavior.
In the selection window there is nothing one can do. None of the fields that are invisible are working. Clicking on the chinese letters does not help

Perhaps I found the reason. On the screen for setting up a backup plan it says:
Backup the destination folder. The file system of the folder must be BTRFS
Back up a custom volume, the file system of the volume must be NTFS.
Not sure what this means.
My volume on the NAS is a EXT4 system.

Any help is appreciated. All shares are set for admin and or the specific users.
One thing i noticed is: The client on the PC is asking for the usergroup but only accepts the user and password.
Attachments
folder selection.jpg
folder selection.jpg (13.06 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
TOS Version.jpg
TOS Version.jpg (11.64 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
TMgevin

Post by TMgevin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Bernhard.Wuest

BTRFS has better support than EXT4. Especially when backing up large files and data or performing incremental backups, it is more efficient, and it has more comprehensive multi-device support and data integrity.
Bernhard.Wuest

Post by Bernhard.Wuest »

Hello,

I read "before" I created the volume and found that for my purpose EXt4 is better
Can Centralize backup fixed to work with Ext4 please!
There was no hint before that this isnt working and it is not possible to convert Ext4 to BTRFS.
I am running on 48TB with about 30TB of data.

best regards
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Centralized Backup is not suitable for the ext4 file system! CB is primarily designed for business users, so during the development process, we focus more on meeting the needs of scalability and efficiency rather than pursuing broad and flexible applications. If your hardware conditions do not meet the requirements for using CB, unfortunately, you will not be able to use this tool.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Bernhard.Wuest

Post by Bernhard.Wuest »

Well,

I used it before and there was no hint or manual or other info that CB works NOT with EXT4. for me sort of a lame excuse about the business use. I am using a 48 TB NAS, actually two, full of business data and before I been setting it up I carefully read reviews on transfer speed and handling of the type of data I am having and EXT4 was the better system. If I would have know that CB isnt working with EXT4 I might have decided differently.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

We acknowledge that we still have shortcomings in our documentation work, and we sincerely apologize for this. In order to improve this situation, we will soon release detailed instructions for using the application. Please stay tuned.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

I suppose that it dependds where you look. According to what I see CB is still in BETA - that would be a much better excuse :twisted:
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

This is indeed what we should provide, but we haven't had the chance to do so yet. Please wait a moment.

Return to “Centralized Backup”