hard drive lights stay red

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
maexchen

hard drive lights stay red

Post by maexchen »

I've recently redone my F2-221. After the initial installation the two LEDs on the NAS are green. It then says I can update to 5.1.67, after that both LEDs turn red (but in the Software the two drives show as green) and stay red, I then updated to 5.1.103 and the lights stay red.
I did wipe the whole thing again and redid all the steps and can confirm that this happens again (ie. first green, then red). I don't think the drives are faulty, it must be a bug.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: hard drive lights stay red

Post by TMzethar »

There is an issue with the indicator light, but other functions are not affected, right?
We are continuously monitoring this situation and attempting to reproduce it.
May I ask if you can solve the problem by reinstalling TOS?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
maexchen

Post by maexchen »

TMzethar wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 18:28 There is an issue with the indicator light, but other functions are not affected, right?
correct
TMzethar wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 18:28 May I ask if you can solve the problem by reinstalling TOS?
yes and no.

when reinstalling 5.1.67 the light are green. as soon as I update they go red
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

This should be helpful for our troubleshooting, thank you.
If you reinstall using the latest 5.1.103 installation package, does the problem also exist?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
maexchen

Post by maexchen »

TMzethar wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 18:29 This should be helpful for our troubleshooting, thank you.
If you reinstall using the latest 5.1.103 installation package, does the problem also exist?
Last time I could not directy install 103 as I got an error. will try again but don't know when I have the time
maexchen

Post by maexchen »

TMzethar wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 18:29 This should be helpful for our troubleshooting, thank you.
actually could it be that there is no 103 package for 221 and I'm using the wrong one (as it has 223 in file name) if so where can I find a 221 specific file?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

We learned from historical posts that you seem to have changed the 2GB system partition to 8GB.
If you did indeed change the system partition to 8GB, this TOS5.1.103 .ins package is also work for your 221.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Based on your description here, you may only have some hard drives that are 8GB.
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=423&start=120
You can log in to SSH and enter the following command to check:

Code: Select all

lsblk
If you confirm that all of your hard drives are already 8GB system partitions, we can arrange for an engineer to remotely troubleshoot for you. Please contact our technical support email or the official website homepage to schedule a time.
maexchen

Post by maexchen »

okay, I found the issue. Hope it helps others and it is remembered by TM Service so they can help others:
  • Reinstalling a F2-221 with download of the installation file via the internet does NOT work
  • you need to download the 5.0.176 installation files from the Website and select a manual install (the good news is this will make the system partition 8GB)
  • as soon as the TOS 5.0.176 is installed and the NAS restarts it offers you to update to the latest version. DO NOT UPDATE AT THIS POINT
  • The Problem is that it updates to 5.1.76 straight away, this will cause the LED lights to turn red.
  • Instead download the 5.1.24 Files (you find the link in the Forum) and choose a manual update.
  • when the NAS restarts again the lights will still be green. (you are now on 5.1.24)
  • At this point you can automatically update or you can download the files for the latest version (as of today 5.1.103) and install them manually. (the automatic update will only get you to 5.1.67)
teicang

Post by teicang »

Same situation , after a fresh update for my nas F2-220 same condition happened as you described,
Really I would like to avoid to reinstall the TOS again so I hope some TM expert can give a solution to apply .....

thx
\Gianni

Return to “Storage”