Expose device name to router

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
Bri64

Expose device name to router

Post by Bri64 »

An option to share or hide the device name from the network router.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Expose device name to router

Post by TMzethar »

There is currently no possibility to achieve this. Perhaps you can achieve this by setting up your router?
May I ask why you need such a feature?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Bri64

Post by Bri64 »

Hi, not all devices present a name to the router and hence when looking through the list of attached devices to determine what is or isn't attached or to determine the TerraMaster IP following a power outage I am faced with a list of "unknown" devices.

Many do, for instance the WIndows and Linux PCs/laptops, also the IP cameras, but many others don't, including the TerraMaster.

So it would be nice to have the option to share the device name with the router.

So a nice to have not a necessity.

PS: The router does not have this capacity, and even if it did how would it know what a device name was?
I have multiple "unknown" devices using DHCP, that would ideally be uniquely named, but to my mind this has to be provided by the device itself.

Thanks
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Interesting question. My router does not identify my Nas devices.

It also does not normally identify IP Cameras from the same manufacturer - in this case they are allocated device names in the setup, but the device seems to ignore that and use a generic "IP Camera" name when it comes to identification on the router (I see one such, but rest are blank). Obviously the router gets "confused" by duplicate names and does not display them.

Consider the NAS. I have 2. Each of these has a separate ID with 2 Lan adapters (separate MAC and IP address) plus a LAGG boinded connection with (possibly) a third IP address (if allocated a separate fixed IP) but a duplicated MAC address. Try explaining that to a dumb router ;)

{Possible connection: Windows10 'net view' command elicits an "error 53" response}
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Here's an interesting discussion (from the past) that might have some relevance
https://community.ui.com/questions/Dupl ... 810eb5a405
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
namdosan1409

Post by namdosan1409 »

A simple method to access information about a device connected to a local Wi-Fi network is by passively listening to the radio waves it emits. car games

Return to “New Features Wanted”