TOS 6 - Cannot Replace 8TB with 14 TB HDD

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
fcs001fcs

TOS 6 - Cannot Replace 8TB with 14 TB HDD

Post by fcs001fcs »

I have been trying for 2 days to replace a HDD in position HDD2 on my F4-423 NAS and have been unable to do so via the GUI.

I successfully did the same on HDD1 position last week after a few tries with the same model 14 TB HDD, so I am at a loss as to why it is not working as it did before.

I am on TOS 6.0.108.

See attached screenshots for the steps in the GUI I tried both with a hot swap and also with many, many, power downs and restarts but nothing worked. I have removed the HDD, deleted the partitions and tried again on many occasions.

The process seems to work, and I get a "Configuration Saved" green popup box at the end but the resyncing of the TRAID does not start as it did for the first 14 TB HDD I did last week. When I check the HDD, it seems the partitions are setup (there were none prior) but the TRAID sync does not start.

How do I overcome this issue?

Are there CLI commands I can run to force the re-syncing of the TRAID so I can integrate the 14 TB HDD as a replacement of the 8TB, as I did for the first HDD in position HDD1 of the NAS?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Step 6.png
Step 5.png
Step 4.png
Step 3.png
Step 2.png
Step 1.png
Step 7.png
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Re: TOS 6 - Cannot Replace 8TB with 14 TB HDD

Post by TMwuu »

{L_BUTTON_AT}fcs001fcs

Check whether the inserted new hard drive is faulty. It is recommended to format the new hard drive to be added first, then restart the TOS system, and then insert the new hard drive into the array.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
fcs001fcs

Post by fcs001fcs »

{L_BUTTON_AT}fcs001fcs
TMwuu wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 16:13 Check whether the inserted new hard drive is faulty. It is recommended to format the new hard drive to be added first, then restart the TOS system, and then insert the new hard drive into the array.
I thought the same so used the new 14TB HDD in position HDD2 and setup a new Pool (#3) and a new Volume (#3) and it all setup correctly. I setup as a Single Disk, but to me, it proved that the 14 TB HDD is not faulty. Is this a correct assumption? How do I format the 14TB HDD with BTFS, all I have is the NAS and a Windows 11 PC?
fcs001fcs

Post by fcs001fcs »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMwuu

OK, I put the 14TB HDD in an USB enclosure, connected it to the F4-423 NAS and setup a Storage Pool 3 and then a TRAID Volume 3 using BTRFS and it all setup correctly. Basically, I set it up to confirm if it was working OK with TRAID and BTRFS and all seemed to be OK and it worked correctly.

I then powered down the NAS, removed the HDD from the enclosure and then started the NAS again. I waited for the NAS to powerup and settle done. I then inserted the 14TB into the HDD2 position on the NAS and then tried to REPAIR the TRAID and it would not go to the "Rebuilding" cycle.

I then put a 8TB IronWolf HDD (I wanted to replace with the 14TB) and it Repairs correctly (REBUILDING... XX.X%, very slowly).

Is there a way to check the 14TB and determine if it is indeed faulty since it seems to work OK on its own when I use it for an independent Volume (i.e. Volume 3) via USB?

Are there any Command Line Commands I can use to bypass the GUI and get the 14TB HDD integrated into my Pool 1 and Volume 1 main Volume 1 need it to be in?
fcs001fcs

Post by fcs001fcs »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMwuu

BTW - The 14 TB HDD is a: Western Digital Ultrastar - DC HC530 - Model: WUH721414ALN604 - Recertified May 2023

I have another one of these Ultrastar - DC HC530 HDDs in position HDD1 in the NAS and it was no problem to replace the other 8 TB HDD I had in position HDD1 before.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

There may be an unknown exception.
please generate and download the log report in TOS > Technical Support > Report Issues, and then send it to customer service window on the right side of the official website homepage or support team mailbox as a network disk sharing link for analysis.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
fcs001fcs

Post by fcs001fcs »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar
Tried with the 14TB formatted with 1 partition as BTRFS but would not even be available for repair of the TRAID. Then wiped all partitions and without a NAS Restart exchanged the 8TB with the 14TB, same problem. Will not go to Rebuilding. Then Restarted the NAS and tried again with the 14TB left in the NAS but same problem. Generated and downloaded the System Report as requested for both scenarios mentioned above. I tried to send both Reports via email to: support@terra-master.com but they are too large ~30MB Kindly PM or email me on how I can get them to TerraMaster so you can review them.
fcs001fcs

SOLVED - Re: TOS 6 - Cannot Replace 8TB with 14 TB HDD

Post by fcs001fcs »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

Although the original 14TB HDD seemed to be working OK, I took your original advice and finally returned the 14TB HDD and ordered the exact same model replacement. It came yesterday.

I installed it right from the box (no formatting) and the process of configuring the 14TB HDD started without any problem and it is now at CONFIGURING = 65% after about 1 day of configuring. Should be finished sometime today.

So, it was some small defect with the original Recertified UltraStar 14TB HDD that did not show up in any of the tests and it seemed the HDD could be setup as a Pool and Volume on its own, but it would not integrate in to an already established Pool as a replacement HDD for a 8TB HDD.

So, the issue is SOLVED on my side, and I thank the Terramaster Support Team for their assistance in getting this problem worked out. Much appreciated!

Return to “Storage”