TNAS F4-421 Shutting Down Unexpectedly

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
suntannedkitty11

TNAS F4-421 Shutting Down Unexpectedly

Post by suntannedkitty11 »

Hello,

My F4-421 is shutting down unexpectedly after a few minutes of operation. The hardware powers on fine and all drive/power LEDs show operation as normally.

Additionally I've checked in TOS and it confirms my drives are in good condition and reading/writing and temps are normal. I can access the files on it just fine and additionally can play media from it via Plex. However after a few minutes of operation which varies (anywhere from 2-10 minutes) the device gives out three beeps and turns off.

I also don't get an email notification that an exception has been thrown.

What could be the issue here?

Thank you
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: TNAS F4-421 Shutting Down Unexpectedly

Post by Gremlin »

:?: heat :?:
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Will the same situation occur when you start TNAS and run it without installing any hard drives?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
themadnewfie

Post by themadnewfie »

i am experiencing this exact same issue but using F2-221 which was purchased back in Nov 2020

with the hard drives in our outside of the unit - it will randomly (2-20min) shut down no matter what im doing with the unit

after enabling error reporting (to trigger an email when it shuts down unexpectedly) i have only received 1 email total ( despite it booting and rebooting for the last 24 hours)

is this thing junk? - that sucks on so many levels

error "TNAS was shut down abnormally! Abnormal shutdown can result in data loss, file system errors, or array corruption. Please check your data and array for anomalies and back up your data in a timely manner."

Device name: TNAS
Model: F2-221
TOS version: TOS_X642.0_5.1.95
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

My preliminary inference is that there is a hardware failure on your tnas, not a software problem. Please contact customer service personnel to make after-sales service requests.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
themadnewfie

Post by themadnewfie »

I'll contact the company and hope for the best

PS - the unit both powers itself off and will also turn its self back on seemingly at random

I have also tried connecting it to different power sources etc (as power can often be the devil)
suntannedkitty11

Post by suntannedkitty11 »

After doing more testing with only single drives or no drives at all the issues still occur.

Interestingly enough after doing some power cycles now the TNAS PC app is saying my TNAS is unitilizaed and wanting to reinstall the TOS system and wipe my data despite me being able to access it earlier today.

Seems to be a major hardware issue.
elw124

Post by elw124 »

I am having the same exact issue here with my F2-421.

I was told that it was the disks, but when I replaced the disks and tried to upgrade it from TOS4.x to TOS5.1, I still see this issue.
To be honest, I would love to know what logfile I can look at to see why the system is rebooting. It almost seems like it is scheduled, but I don't see anything scheduled in TOS or in cron.

The only other thing I can think of is a hardware failure. The disks are new SSD disks, so I know it isn't them.

If support helps me on this, I will let you know what they say. So far, they just were saying it was the disks, but clearly this isn't the issue anymore after my tests.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}elw124
According to the information provided in your email, you are currently using TOS5.1.24. Please continue to try reinstalling to the latest version of TOS5.1.123. This may solve the problem that may be caused by excessive usage of the BTRFS quota automatic detection process.
If the problem persists, it is likely a hardware or BIOS issue.
You can try starting F4-421 without installing any hard drives and keeping it running for 3 hours to observe if there are similar issues.
You can try disassembling F4-421, cleaning the dust, and removing the battery for 30 minutes to remove CMOS.
You can try using other power sources with the same interface and voltage, if you have any other compatible power sources.
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Not sure how old your unit is, but you might also want to consider REPLACING CMOS battery. I had similar issues recently and that seemed like the only thing that actually worked. But note that it did not happen immediately. Numerous unplugging of internal usb init device, cleaning interior and contacts etc. Finally it seemed to settle down and has been running solidly for several days now. Consider leaving the CMOS battery disconnected for a while to make sure it resets.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)

Return to “Hardware, Power and Accessories”