Can TOS be installed on Terramaster without recovery e-mail?

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
dmderev

Can TOS be installed on Terramaster without recovery e-mail?

Post by dmderev »

I would like to re-install TOS on my F2-210 without recovery e-mail and confirmation with the code received by e-mail.

The reason: I don't think that "securing" administrative account on my box with the registration server located somewhere in China on not-so-trusted server is safe enough to justify it. Earlier I had ransomware encrypting all my files on this NAS box, and I read reports showing logins to administrative account from IP addresses in APAC. So I am ready to lose my files if I forget my own password, but not ready to lose files because someone hacks registration and accesses the NAS remotely.

So: How to bypass the step of recovery e-mail in the installation window and continue installation of the TOS without handshake on e-mail? Can the e-mail field be simply left blank and will installation proceed successfully without it?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: Can TOS be installed on Terramaster without recovery e-mail?

Post by Gremlin »

That's quite amusing. TM did rather a lot to obfuscate the os after the 'ransom ware incidents' such that 'root' and 'admin' are now things of the past (and confusing to us old guys, at least) but you don't trust their servers. Suggest you don't use the 'local' email server in that case for notifications either. Seems to me most ransom ware attacks were for the very reason that users did not adequately protect their local systems. If hackers can't get into your system you should be fine.

Anyway, you can skip the verification bit on installation. As far as recovery or notification emails are concerned they can be whatever you want and via whatever provider you wish. Personally I use my own domains and keep away from things like hotmail, gmail etc. (Whether that does me any good I will only know when I let the b*****ers in :( )
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)

Return to “Initialization”