Using the D5-300 with the F4-423

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
CraftyClown

Re: Using the D5-300 with the F4-423

Post by CraftyClown »

Ok, so I think I understand now. Is this a software raid being added when the D5-300 is added as an expansion slot? As opposed to when drives are added natively to the F4-423 (I presume that is a hardware raid?)

Is this the reason for the very slow sync? Is this also the reason I can’t use the GUI to do a fast sync?

I have a few questions if this is the case…

1. Is there any advantage to having this as a software raid connected as an expansion slot on the F4-423? Or is it quicker and more efficient to use Raid manager on my Mac to do a hardware raid on the D5-300 and then connect it to the NAS as a USB device?

2. Why does the raid not need to sync if it is created via Raid Manager? Is this a more risky way to use a raid array?

3. If I continue to build the software raid via the expansion slot, is there a way in terminal to speed up the sync? Running cat /proc/mdstat tells me it's going at somewhere between 25Mbps and 50Mbps

4. If I reboot the server during a software Raid sync will the sync resume after the restart, or is this very dangerous?

Thanks for the help
TMqiky

Post by TMqiky »

1. Using d5-300 as an expansion slot is managed by the system and created directly through system programs, mainly to expand capacity.
Due to USB limitations, its speed is not as fast as the built-in hard drive, which cannot be accelerated.

2. Create through raid management software, the creation process is fast.
If you build a raid and damage the hard drive, replacing the hard drive also requires synchronization.

3. There is currently no relevant method available.

4. After restarting, synchronization will resume.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
CraftyClown

Post by CraftyClown »

Thanks for the quick response

So on closer inspection:

dev.raid.speed_limit_min = 100000
dev.raid.speed_limit_max = 200000

These seem like decent numbers that have been set by default however I am getting between 20000 and 50000 which is less than the default. Is this due to the USB 3.1 connection? I'm surprised as I thought this should be closer to 5gbps

I have another drive connected to the second USB 3.1 port, if the controller is the limiting factor should I cease from using this device?
CraftyClown

Post by CraftyClown »

TMqiky wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 22:01
Due to USB limitations, its speed is not as fast as the built-in hard drive, which cannot be accelerated.
Is the USB definitely the limiting factor here? I just checked the specs for the two devices and the ports on the F4-423 are 10Gbps and the port on the D5-300 is 5Gbps. Surely this is significantly faster than the speed the drives are capable of?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Sorry, we are currently unable to provide any further details regarding the D5-300 read and write speed issue.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
CraftyClown

Post by CraftyClown »

TMzethar wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 18:32 Sorry, we are currently unable to provide any further details regarding the D5-300 read and write speed issue.
I’m a bit confused by this response. Are you confirming it is an issue? Any reason you won’t provide any further details?

If the two devices are limited to 50Mbps transfer speeds when connected as an expansion port, (which is how it is starting to look) then it would be nice to confirm this so that customers are aware and can make an educated decision when purchasing.

Refusing to discuss is unhelpful and unprofesional
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

We need time to confirm the issue you mentioned. Please wait.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
CraftyClown

Post by CraftyClown »

Thank you @TMzethar
CraftyClown

Post by CraftyClown »

TMzethar wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 08:53 We need time to confirm the issue you mentioned. Please wait.
Any update on this @TMzethar?

The raid sync completed at a Max speed of 50Mbps after about 5 days

I then began a backup using the TFM tool which started quickly (around 200Mbps) but then over the space of an hour or two slowed to a steady 48Mbps where it has sat for around four or five hours.

At this rate my 50TB backup will take 12 days to complete!

If this is a limitation of the Terramaster devices connected as an expansion slot then that is unfortunate as I won't be able to use this in a working environment
CraftyClown

Post by CraftyClown »

Quick update

I think I've discovered the problem. I had a hyper cache set up on the volume that was being backed up and when I removed it and ran the back up again it settled into a far nicer 182Mbps

Before removing the cache I checked the option to not use it for prolonged data transfer had been selected and it was correctly in place, so I'm not sure why the cache would be bottlenecking the transfer as it shouldn't be active.

Is it possible that option in the hyper cache isn't working and the cache was being used anyway? Hence the 48Mbps transfers?

I'd like to have a hyper cache for small file read and writes, but not if it's going to be be a problem for everything else

Return to “USB Series”