F2-221 update from tos 4->5 info needed

The discussion here is limited to topics related to the system update itself. Please post the functional issues after the system update to the corresponding other forums.
ieronymous

F2-221 update from tos 4->5 info needed

Post by ieronymous »

Hi

Back again after 1 year and a half of absence, since I use my F2-221 unit only to backup my music data base every few months and afterwards the unit powers off for the rest of time.
I had an early version of TOS which easily upgraded to 4.1.0 (or something). Today I checked again and found the latest version of TOS which was 4.2.40-2008051459. After that update couldn t see any newer one. Yet I noticed that TOS has reached at version 5 (with 6 pending). I ve read a couple of threads about the 5 version and since I didn t want to go straight (I couldn't t securely do that anyways) to 5.1 (due to the 2Gb limitation), I tried the early 5 version (5.0.176). So I downloaded the TOS Update Package and manually tried to install it. But at 50% I m getting below message
tos 5.0.1.jpg
This stays like this forever, and if I reload the page it disappears completely. So my questions are

1.Does the 5.0 version needs the 8Gb requirement? If not why the above message then?
2.I guess for a new installation I need the TOS Installation Package instead of the update package right?
3.Whta is the TerraMaster Bootloader for x.86 series models? When someone needs to install it and by what order?

Thank you in advance

PS1 Irrelevant but when root user is locked for too many log in attempts (ssh login attempts) for how long does the user remains locked?

PS2 I wanted to check about my / partition size (even though I was sure about the size) and running lsblk from ssh showed
lsblk.jpg
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: F2-221 update from tos 4->5 info needed

Post by TMzethar »

You are using incorrect methods that may cause various problems.
Please refer to this:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4912
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ieronymous

Post by ieronymous »

TMzethar wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 17:52 You are using incorrect methods that may cause various problems.
Please refer to this:
By incorrect you mean? From 4.1 to 4.2 it completed automatically without any issues. Now for the 5 is a different topic that is what I asked. I ve already read the post you mentioned before you do it and my questions lies from there after reading it , so not very helpful you observation about my incorrect methods because I have no method at all.
ieronymous

Post by ieronymous »

ieronymous wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 07:21
TMzethar wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 17:52 You are using incorrect methods that may cause various problems.
Please refer to this:
By incorrect you mean? From 4.1 to 4.2 it completed automatically without any issues. Now for the 5 is a different topic that is what I asked. I ve already read the post you mentioned before you do it and my questions lies from there after reading it , so not very helpful you observation about my incorrect methods because I have no method at all.
Since I can t edit my own post, grammatical corrections: what=why (I asked) and you=your (observation).
Also I didn t mention anything about 5.1 but for 5.0.
By the way you didn t answer / knew any of my questions so again , not very helpful
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Sorry, generally speaking, backing up data and resetting the hard drive before upgrading to TOS 5.1 is a better choice. But now I understand clearly that you really only need to use TOS 5.0.
Regarding the issue you mentioned:
1. In general, a 2GB system partition can meet TOS 5.124 and earlier versions, including the TOS 5.0.176 you mentioned.
2. Yes. Please reinstall TOS using the TOS.0.176.ins package. Please refer to the steps for reinstallation:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=423
3. Regarding Bootloader.img, you can download it from the corresponding model in the download center and manually upload it to the initialization page.
https://support.terra-master.com/downlo ... uct=F2-221
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ieronymous

Post by ieronymous »

TMzethar wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 09:16 Sorry, generally speaking, backing up data and resetting the hard drive before upgrading to TOS 5.1 is a better choice. But now I understand clearly that you really only need to use TOS 5.0.
Regarding the issue you mentioned:
1. In general, a 2GB system partition can meet TOS 5.124 and earlier versions, including the TOS 5.0.176 you mentioned.
2. Yes. Please reinstall TOS using the TOS.0.176.ins package. Please refer to the steps for reinstallation:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=423
3. Regarding Bootloader.img, you can download it from the corresponding model in the download center and manually upload it to the initialization page.
https://support.terra-master.com/downlo ... uct=F2-221
It 's ok. now that you are more into the zone of what I want ......
1.It is nice to have an extra confirmation.
2.So no update by manually giving it the update file of 5.0.176
3.I know where I can downloaded for (by the way your link is dead), point is why woold I need it at first place? It troubleshoots which issues?
Can I avoid using it at all for instance?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Sorry, I have corrected the link.
This is a necessary program for USB boot systems.
If it prompts for BootLoader.img, you cannot skip this step.
ieronymous

Post by ieronymous »

TMzethar wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 19:58 Sorry, I have corrected the link.
This model seems to have a usb attached for some reason. If it uses one of the partitions of installed hard drives (mirror configuration) then why it needs the usb as well?
It seems that it need both? So eventually I ll need to flash the tos ver 5 to that usb?
ieronymous

Post by ieronymous »

ieronymous wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 21:04
TMzethar wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 19:58 Sorry, I have corrected the link.
This model seems to have a usb attached for some reason. If it uses one of the partitions of installed hard drives (mirror configuration) then why it needs the usb as well?
It seems that it need both? So eventually I ll need to flash the tos ver 5 to that usb?
Forgot to upload the pic
terra.jpg

PS
So I could change /erase the usb and install OMV or Truenas even though it is not recommended to be installed on a usb device due to excessive read /writes of the logs happening background.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Best to keep the oem usb safe and secure so it can be re-installed in the event you change your mind about TOS or sell the device. The usb connected to m/board only aids the installation of TOS, it does not contribute to the operating system in real time.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)

Return to “System Update”