F5-221 unaccessible after a few minutes

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
TimeKillr

F5-221 unaccessible after a few minutes

Post by TimeKillr »

Hi,

I have a F5-221. I made the mistake of upgrading to TOS 5.1.xx at some point, and I was getting a blank desktop when logging into it via HTTP. I downgraded the OS to 5.0.176, and that worked well for a few days, where now I was still getting a blank desktop upon starting it, and I kept getting "The system is sluggish" messages. I let it run for a while after I read it might be the BTRFS Quota that was eating up the system; when monitoring the memory and CPU usage they would both go to 100% and after a minute or so the system just completely stops responding to anything.

I figured I'd reinstall 5.0.176 (unplug all 5 drives, boot up, go into the install, reinstall OS) it doesn't reboot to desktop anymore at all; it just goes to a grey screen with a rotating blue indicator that never stops, and again after a few minutes it stops being responsive at all. Can't see it through the TNAS PC app, can't SSH to it, can't access anything.

So I even tried to downgrade to 4.2.40, and same situation occurs. It gets detected quickly, goes into "Ready" in TNAS PC app, but then I try to log on to the desktop and I still get that grey screen. I decided to let it run; it's been running for 2 hours now, my HDD indicator leds are going flashing constantly and I can hear the HDDs working non-stop.

What am I supposed to do now?
TimeKillr

Re: F5-221 unaccessible after a few minutes

Post by TimeKillr »

So quick update here - With 4.2.40, I get the "Loading" screen from TOS4, but it loads into oblivion.

I'll try one final reinstall of the OS and see what happens, but after a few minutes of loading, it becomes unresponsive again. Can't ping it, can't SSH to it. It's still detected on my network, but it's completely unresponsive.
TimeKillr

Post by TimeKillr »

So another update - I reinstalled 5.0.176, and I do get to the desktop now, but it's empty.

I also can't SSH into the device (or the port to SSH into isn't 9222) so I'm not sure what I can do at this point, sadly :(
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

From your usage experience, it can be seen that it is not related to TOS itself. The problem is likely to occur on the file system or hard drive
We suggest that you contact the customer service window or technical support email for our engineers to help you check. In order to help you more smoothly, please install Putty or similar SSH/Telnet tools in advance.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Storage”