How Do I Install a New Drive After a Hard Drive Failure

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
ralexlaptop

How Do I Install a New Drive After a Hard Drive Failure

Post by ralexlaptop »

I have a failed 6TB hard drive that I replaced with a 16 TB hard drive.

I went through all the steps to repair the Raid and insert new drive.

It displays the following after I confirm. The display remains the same when I confirm again and again.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments
Confirm.jpg
Install New Drive.jpg
Failed Hard Drive.jpg
Failed Hard Drive.jpg (20.08 KiB) Viewed 804 times
ralexlaptop

Re: How Do I Install a New Drive After a Hard Drive Failure

Post by ralexlaptop »

How do I get this second hard drive to join the Raid? Once I can get the 6TB drive to sync with the 16TB drive, I would like to also replace the 6TB drive with another 16TB drive.

Attachments
Second Drive.jpg
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Do you mean you encountered a problem while repairing it? This doesn't seem to be observable from the screenshot you provided.
You can try another option:viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1543
If the problem persists. We suggest that you contact the customer service window or technical support email on the official website homepage to arrange remote troubleshooting.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

When I select confirm to repair raid, it briefly blips a message. It's so fast that I was barely able to get a screenshot.

I did send an email to support with a copy of my System report and I was told that my new hard drive had partitions that needed to be removed.

I removed to partitions but no change.

Is there anything else I need to do such as format the drive or anything?
Attachments
No Partition.jpg
Configure.jpg
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

We note that the system partition of your hard drive is 2GB, and it is not suitable for TOS versions above TOS 5.1.24, as it is prone to various system issues.
The problem you encountered has not appeared to anyone else, and we believe it is related to it.
We suggest that you backup your data, delete the partitions of the already installed 6TB hard drive, and then reinstall TOS.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4912
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

[at=TMzethar post_id=30641 time=1698370084 user_id=2405][/at]

Thank you.

I have a question: I have another TNAS that I haven't had any problems with and it also have a 2G system partition. Will I need to blow that one away too and perform a fresh TOS 5.1 install or should I just wait for TOS 6 since it will be released soon?

This is my TNAS that does not have a problem.

The one that I'm unable to repair the raid has never given me a problem until my HDD2 failed.

Attachments
F4-421.jpg
F2-422.jpg
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

We still recommend that you take the time to adjust them.
If you think you can maintain the current system and storage configuration without resetting the hard drives, we can try to help you repair the RAID1 with the new disk.
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

This is the first time I'm seeing this 8G system requirement for TOS 5. Now that I know about it, I'm very interested in correcting this problem but I don't look forward to having to copy more than 5T of data over a slow ethernet network.

Do you have step by step instructions for fixing this 2G system problem?

This leads me to question will there be other new system minimum requirements for TOS 6?
TMLeeh

Post by TMLeeh »

Hello,
This is a solution to update conditions that do not meet TOS 5.1.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4912
The system requirement for TOS6 is also 8G.
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

[at=TMLeeh post_id=30651 time=1698411126 user_id=7709][/at]

The instructions that you shared is missing the details that I need. The details that I need is how do I safely backup all my data so I will have no issues in restoring it after I've rebuilt the system partition?

The only thing these instructions says is to backup your data. Where is the How to backup your data?

What ever happened to the safeguards that should have prevented me from ever upgrading to TOS 5.1 with a 2G system partition to begin with?
Attachments
Safeguard.jpg
TOS 5.1 Upgrade.jpg

Return to “Storage”