rsync does not keep file dates

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
YC123

rsync does not keep file dates

Post by YC123 »

Hi.
I'm using rsync to backup disk 1 to disk 2 on an F4-210.
But the backup does not preserve the original dates of the files.
Is there an option for this? (rsync -t)
Thank you for your answers.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: rsync does not keep file dates

Post by TMzethar »

Sorry, there is no option to keep backup time constant on the F4-210 TOS system.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
IM35461

Post by IM35461 »

I just bought a 423 and a 424 Pro running TOS 5.1 to replace my old NAS units. I just started to use rsync to restore photos I have taken for over 20 years and now rather than the original file date and times they all have the current date and time.

How come my older NAS units from other vendors could manage it but the one in TOS 5.1

VERY POOR

Is it any better in TOS 6.0 or is it beyond your programmers skills?
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-13 212417.png
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

TOS6 - I don't think so. Your best bet may be to work out what rsync command(s) you want/need and run them as scheduled task(s).

I have just been using TOS6 Beta rsync server and file stamps are all current date/time/user (admin). Likewise the reverse from TOS6 to TOS5 server. Looks like the options are still set at a basic level.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

TFM Backup might be a viable option but I have not really tried it yet.
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

This link may help regarding running rsync as a scheduled task:

https://serverfault.com/questions/25512 ... -ownership

Note to @TMsupport:
I think most people needing a backup would expect file ownership and date stamps to be preserved. I have noticed that most of the suggested backup routines from TM do not do that when used in the manner of 'cloning' (shared folders for example). Maybe a dedicated 'clone' derivative or options in backup functions (at the very least 'rsync backup' to ensure ownership and date stamp preservation. Thank you.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

TerraMaster offers a diverse range of backup tools to meet all your backup needs, to backup your data between two TNASs:

Option 1: Duple Backup

Option 2: TFM Backup( Before running TFM Backupm, mount one folder from one TNAS to another one)

I will verify the rsync date-keeping issue with our team member soon.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
IM35461

Post by IM35461 »

Gremlin wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 19:34 This link may help regarding running rsync as a scheduled task:

https://serverfault.com/questions/25512 ... -ownership

Note to @TMsupport:
I think most people needing a backup would expect file ownership and date stamps to be preserved. I have noticed that most of the suggested backup routines from TM do not do that when used in the manner of 'cloning' (shared folders for example). Maybe a dedicated 'clone' derivative or options in backup functions (at the very least 'rsync backup' to ensure ownership and date stamp preservation. Thank you.
Many thanks for the tips. Alas, all the other options seem to have drawbacks as well.

Also the "Terra Photos" app seems to date the photos form the created date rather than EXIF taken date so it thought all my

Media indexing is complete. Total number of new indexes: 104705 (pictures: 102448; audio files: 0; videos: 2257; documents: 0 )

were taken on the same day! I deleted them all and used a PC to copy them maintaining the file dates.

I don't think "Terra Photos" is going to be any better than RSync with thumbnail creation at 1.7% after about 8 hours on my 424 Pro.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

IM35461 wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 04:38
Also the "Terra Photos" app seems to date the photos form the created date rather than EXIF taken date .
Unfortunately, not just TerraPhotos. You will find that many versions of linux (and btrfs particularly) were never built to have any concept of 'creation date', so they don't factor that in. What you mostly get is 'modified date'. (Being wary of the 'ctime' which is 'changed time', not created time. [Note: Purists may object to my choce of words, but I find it the easiest way to describe.] I'm beginning to remember why I didn't pursue Linux in my earlier years :shock: :lol:

Return to “File Services”