Increasing Storage Capacity

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
pamel1

Re: Increasing Storage Capacity

Post by pamel1 »

Increasing storage capacity can be achieved through various methods, depending on the specific device or system you're working with. Here are some general strategies:

1. Free up existing storage space:

Before expanding storage, it's essential to optimize the existing storage space. Start by identifying and removing unnecessary files, such as old downloads, temporary files, and unused applications. Utilize disk cleanup tools to eliminate system junk and cached data.

2. Upgrade internal storage:

If your device has an expandable storage slot, consider upgrading the internal storage component. For instance, you can replace an existing hard drive with a larger capacity one or add an additional solid-state drive (SSD) for faster performance and storage expansion.

3. Utilize external storage solutions:

External storage devices provide a convenient and portable way to expand storage. External hard drives, SSDs, and USB flash drives offer varying storage capacities and transfer speeds. Choose an option that suits your needs and budget.

4. Cloud storage services:

Cloud storage services like Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive allow you to store files online and access them from anywhere with an internet connection. This method is particularly useful for storing large files or backing up important data.

5. Data compression techniques:

Data compression techniques can reduce the size of files, freeing up storage space. Compression tools like WinRAR and 7-Zip can effectively compress various file formats, including documents, images, and videos.

6. Optimize file organization:

Efficient file organization can help you locate and manage files more effectively, preventing clutter and unnecessary storage consumption. Organize files into folders with clear hierarchies and use descriptive file names.

7. Regular data backups:

Regular data backups are crucial for protecting your valuable information in case of device failure or accidental deletion. Back up your files to external storage devices, cloud storage services, or both.

8. Streamlined media consumption:

Instead of storing large media files locally, consider using streaming services like Netflix, Spotify, or YouTube for entertainment. Streaming allows you to access a vast library of content without consuming your device's storage.

9. Temporary file management:

Many applications generate temporary files that can accumulate over time, consuming storage space. Regularly check and delete temporary files from application settings or dedicated cleanup tools.

10. Software optimization:

Some software programs can be optimized to reduce their storage footprint. Review application settings and disable unnecessary features or background processes that may consume unnecessary storage space.

By implementing these strategies, you can effectively manage your storage needs and ensure that you have ample space for your files and applications. Remember, regular maintenance and optimizing storage usage habits play a key role in maintaining sufficient storage capacity.
MarceloC

Post by MarceloC »

Thanks Pamel... My issue really is my TNAS not recognizing the new 14TB drive when I swap it with a GOOD/WORKING 4TB drive. Every time I push the new drive in then enter into the STORAGE POOL to repair the RAID, I select the new 14TB drive to repair the raid - then NOTHING happens. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to see something happen, or if I can look in the activity monitor.. NOTHING CHANGES... It's been a couple days and no change. I'm not sure if I'm missing a step... I'm hoping I can jump on a zoom/googlemeet call with someone more knowledgeable than me and maybe I'm missing something...
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

After remote investigation by our technical support team, it was found that this 14TB hard drive has identification issues. We believe it is necessary to investigate the issue with this 14TB hard drive.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
MarceloC

Post by MarceloC »

Thanks for that info. Can you please explain what that means in English?

I am trying to connect with a friend this weekend to reformat the external drive on a PC. Is there a specific format I should make sure to leave it? After that I will attempt to upgrade the drive again.

I’m still not sure if (or what) I should be seeing once the TNAS starts to repair/upgrade the new drive. Does it show up as CPU usage? Is there any interface or activity monitor that would show me what the rebuild process is looking like?

Thanks so much for your support.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}MarceloC
After the repair/expansion operation starts successfully, you can observe the synchronization percentage in the volume interface, storage pool interface, and floating window interface.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Storage”