Increasing Storage Capacity

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
MarceloC

Increasing Storage Capacity

Post by MarceloC »

I've searched around a bit, and haven't really found the answer I'm looking for. The inevitable happened... I have filled my 12 TB... I've recently deleted some older footage that I have backed up on external drives, but I'm really thinking I want to just upgrade my 4TB drives to individual 12TB drives. Can I simply replace one of the 4TB drives with a larger one, wait for the RAID5 sync to complete, then add another 12TB, and then rinse and repeat until all 4 drives installed are now 12TB instead of 4TB... Then increase the Volume Capacity to MAX when finished?
Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 6.37.43 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 6.37.34 PM.png
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Re: Increasing Storage Capacity

Post by TMwuu »

{L_BUTTON_AT}MarceloC

Hello, you can do it like this. You can take out a piece of 4T and replace it with 12T, then repair it. After the repair is completed, replace it with another piece of 4T and repair it again. Repeat this action until all four pieces of 4T have been replaced.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
MarceloC

Post by MarceloC »

Time consuming, however an option! Any recommendations on a faster way to do it?
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

After backing up the data, recreating it also requires time for synchronization, and you can replace it one by one.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
MarceloC

Post by MarceloC »

{L_BUTTON_AT}MarceloC
TMwuu wrote: 29 Sep 2023, 13:41 Hello, you can do it like this. You can take out a piece of 4T and replace it with 12T, then repair it. After the repair is completed, replace it with another piece of 4T and repair it again. Repeat this action until all four pieces of 4T have been replaced.
I tried removing the 4TB from BAY 4 and replaced it with a 14TB.. the device only beeped at me for hours, but nothing changed. Am I supposed to do a HOT SWAP while it's on? I dug around in the HELP files in the device, but couldn't find any documentation for the steps to upgrade the devices. I have 1 14TB ready to swap, and the 2nd 14TB is en route next week. Hoping that once these 2 are "restored" that I'll have a little more room.. Eventually I want to upgrade all 4 to 14TB ($$ limited this month!)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}MarceloC
If you only found 'fix' without 'upgrade'. After you replace all the hard drives, you may eventually need to refer to this manual expansion of storage pools and volumes. viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2342
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
MarceloC

Post by MarceloC »

I was never able to log back into the device.. It just sat and beeped for hours. I powered the device down, replaced the old 4TB drive, powered it back up and bam... was able to log back into the device. Should I perform a HOT SWAP and while it's on swap out Bay 4 from the OLD to a NEW 14TB drive? I guess I just am not clear on the procedure to swap the smaller drive for the larger one so it can "repair" it before making it bigger...
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

You can refer to this for the steps of array expansion: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1543
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
MarceloC

Post by MarceloC »

I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd put it here too...
I've taken the steps outlined in the link shared above, but it seems like after selecting the new drive, there is no repair ever made. Not sure what I am missing, but I'd love to get this extra storage space... :?:

https://www.loom.com/share/21d5e4b6f249 ... 33d6fae5f5
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}MarceloC
Hi,
This situation is often influenced by other unknown factors.
You can generate and download a log report in TOS>Technical Support>Problem Report, and then send it to our technical support email through the network disk sharing link. We will analyze it and try to provide a solution.
If necessary, we can arrange an engineer to remotely check your storage configuration and hard drives.

We see that you have repeatedly posted under that topic. We have removed it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:

Return to “Storage”