UPS Setup Help.

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
StephenM

UPS Setup Help.

Post by StephenM »

I have purchased, but yet to receive an Cyber Power Systems BR1000ELCD

I only have a single TNAS so don't need to set up a server, but I'm not sure of the setup options to choose.

What I want is for the TNAS to power down immediately the UPS loses input power, and then power back up after the UPS has had stable power for 10 minutes, is that possible?

I'm suffering many power failures at my property at the moment and quite often we get periods of the power failing, and attempting to reposer for a few times within a 10 second window. We can also get the same aborted attempts to get the power back on over a few seconds.

Ideally I'd like the TNAS to be provided power after some stability - Failing that I'd like it to shutdown and NOT power back up until the front button is pressed.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: UPS Setup Help.

Post by Gremlin »

I don't really think the built-in ups handlers in TOS will do what you want. They are very basic.

I use apcupsd on my pc which has a 'usb only' power supply. My other ups units have network controllers, so I can configure them remotely if I need to.

I believe I read of NUT being installed on TNAS, but I don't know if that is practical. You may have to search around for a suitable solution.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
StephenM

Post by StephenM »

I think my best bet might be to disable Auto Power On for the NAS and enable Wake on Lan.

I can then hook the scripts of my router to build in the desired delay and weed the ether-wake command to the MAC address of the NAS.

That way, if the power drops within x seconds of the router booting up it won't fire the ether-wake and the NAS will remain powered down.

Time to test later on today when I'm free.
TMqiky

Post by TMqiky »

StephenM wrote: 19 Sep 2023, 21:13 I have purchased, but yet to receive an Cyber Power Systems BR1000ELCD

I only have a single TNAS so don't need to set up a server, but I'm not sure of the setup options to choose.

What I want is for the TNAS to power down immediately the UPS loses input power, and then power back up after the UPS has had stable power for 10 minutes, is that possible?

I'm suffering many power failures at my property at the moment and quite often we get periods of the power failing, and attempting to reposer for a few times within a 10 second window. We can also get the same aborted attempts to get the power back on over a few seconds.

Ideally I'd like the TNAS to be provided power after some stability - Failing that I'd like it to shutdown and NOT power back up until the front button is pressed.
When the power is cut off, the NAS will enter the safe mode according to the set time, and then re-power on the ups, the NAS will reboot automatically but will not shut down. If you want to configure ups remotely, you can choose tnas ups connection. For details, please refer to the help file.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}StephenM

Watch out for the 'gotcha' in TOS5: "When wake-on-lan is enabled, the 'auto power on' function will automatically be enabled".
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMqiky

I don't see any UPS help in TOS5. (It's not under 'Hardware & Power' where one would expect it to be.)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}StephenM

Regarding the UPS server issue you mentioned, the first NAS connected to the UPS (network interface type) must be used as the UPS server so that other NAS can also connect to the UPS and set up.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gremlin
Is this what you are looking for? https://help.terra-master.com/TOS5/view ... s/flag/UPS
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
StephenM

Post by StephenM »

So - Testing without the UPS.

Enable WOL & Auto Power On

Shutdown the NAS - Issue WOL - All good.

Disable Auto Power On

Shutdown the NAS - Remove the Power & Reconnect - Issue WAL - Doesn't work.

@TMzethar - I only have one NAS so not sure why I would need to set up?

Further tests to follow when UPS actually arrives (today)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

[at=TMzethar post_id=29836 time=1695202004 user_id=2405][/at]

I was not specifically looking for anything! It was mentioned to "see the help file". So, being a dutiful customer I went to my > control panel >Hardware & Power > UPS

I then clicked on "HELP" (upper right corner). This takes you to the (supposed) Tos5 Help pages. BUT it is NOT the page you linked above. UPS is NOT REFERENCED anywhere on those pages linked from the GUI.

Please get your act together. Before you refer a customer to a page, please make sure it is the correct page. This is the stupid little error that drives customers away because they are then disinclined to believe you when you post other information.

Why is the UPS help page, you have now supplied, not linked into TOS Help? Is the TOS5 Help linked from the GUI actually valid or has it been copied from earlier versions?

Since we are on the subject, any chance UPS config can be enhanced to include the sort of things we are discussing?

Is this actually NUT in disguise? If so, where are the config files in TOS5?

(I searched back and found a post about configuring NUT in TOS but am not convinced it applies to TOS5 or even works on a generalised basis. I did also find the app for WebNut, but that does not provide configuration.)

</rant> ;)

Return to “Hardware, Power and Accessories”