How to Install and Initialize My Newly Purchased TNAS Device?

New system installation, system re-install
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: How to install and initialize my newly purchased TNAS device?

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gandalf1369

When installing TOS, select Custom, it will not automatically create a RAID for you
Alternatively, you can directly edit volumes and storage pools in the control panel to create the JBOD you want
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar
Thank you for replying. However, as I mentioned in my post I was NEVER given the chance to choose what type of RAID nor filesystem (ext4 or Btrfs) I wanted. Both the custom install option and the manual install option behaved in exactly the same - in both cases TRIAD was installed on a Btrfs file system. This was on a F4-220 with three newly formatted, totally empty, hard drives. I'll try changing the storage pool and volume in the control panel after the system finishes building the TRIAD. Can the Btrfs be changed to ext4 during that process?? Remember there are absolutely NO user files on the system except what TOS 5.1.95 installed. Thank you . .
F5-221 with 4x5TB drives in Raid 5 (Plex Media Server, TOS 4.2.44)
F4-220 with 2x8TB, 1x6TB in JBOD (Docker, PiHole, Uptime-Kuma, tnfsd-x64, TOS 5.1.123)
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

One more thing I forgot to mention. . . .

On my first attempt to inialize the NAS I let it do the install automatically so it downloaded the install TOS file from, I assume, your website. On the second attempt when I choose "Custom" install I pointed it to the "TOS_X642.0_5.1.95_00372_2311150705.ins" file I had downloaded directly from your support webpage.

Perhaps you can check to see if the file posted on your support website includes the RAID and filesystem options when installing . . .

Thanks.
F4-220 with 2x8TB, 1x6TB in JBOD (Docker, PiHole, Uptime-Kuma, tnfsd-x64, TOS 5.1.123)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gandalf1369

I believe that if you had an existing file system on the drives, it would use that automatically and overwrite the file system. Did you erase the drives before re-installing system?
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Yes, Gremlin mentioned the key point. If you have ever created storage pools and volumes for a hard drive on TOS, reinstalling TOS on the same model generally does not delete them. (There are also special circumstances)
Unless you can clear the super blocks on the hard drive partition before installing.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

Yes, I had TOS 4 originally installed on the drives and had them set up as JBOD. Before attempting to install TOS 5.1.95 I physically removed the drives from the NAS and formatted each one on my PC using NTFS as the file system.

Are you saying that formatting them before the TOS install was not sufficent to fully remove TOS 4??
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gremlin

Thank you for answering. See my post above . . .
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gandalf1369

OK, I think I understand but as I don't have the same model nas I cannot be positive. After formatting the drives you did an "automatic" install. On your nas I suspect the auto default is still TOS4. Once that is installed you are still in a position of having a 2GB system partition and incompatabilities. I think best to delete all the partitions on the drive (my preference is to "wipe" drives, but can be time consuming) and start again being sure to choose "custom". Again, your specific NAS might have some other factors I am not aware of.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gremlin

Everything you said makes sense with the exception of of TOS 4 being installed after I choose the "automatic" option. It did then install TOS 5.1.95 with TRIAD.

Do you think if I start over and "wipe" the drives using my Windows PC I will be able to choose the correct RAID and filesystem??

BTW, I would really hate to start over as the TRAID "synchronizing" took over 48 hours even though the drives were totally empty. It's finished now but it won't let me create any volumes . . . but that's another problem.
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

[at=TMzethar post_id=31200 time=1700876528 user_id=2405]
Yes, Gremlin mentioned the key point. If you have ever created storage pools and volumes for a hard drive on TOS, reinstalling TOS on the same model generally does not delete them. (There are also special circumstances)
Unless you can clear the super blocks on the hard drive partition before installing.
[/at]
Yes, I had TOS 4 originally installed on the drives and had them set up as JBOD. Before attempting to install TOS 5.1.95 I physically removed the drives from the NAS and formatted each one on my Windows PC using NTFS as the file system.

Are you saying that formatting them in Windows before the new TOS install was not sufficent to fully remove TOS 4?? If the answer is yes can you tell me how I can clear the super blocks so I can successfully install TOS 5.1.95 and use JBOD as the RAID?? If clearing the super blocks is not feasable can I re-install TOS 4 unto these hard drives??

Thank you very much for your time . . .

Return to “Initialization & installation”