NVMe - Diagnostic utility ?

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
Revamp

NVMe - Diagnostic utility ?

Post by Revamp »

Hello,

I was just wondering if there is a possibility of a diagnostic utility on TOS5.xx to check the health and FW version of the on board NVMe SSD or a way to have something like Samsungs Magician utility? (I have 2 x Samsung M.2 970 EVO plus SSD (500GB)).

I just want to make sure my NVMe SSD do not have the buggy FW version starting 3xxxx and take a look at the TBW status and look to update the FW if required.

I am aware you can't just place the NVMe in a USB controller interface and plug it in to your laptop USB port to test or access it, you have to address it while it is placed as a drive on an MB.. So as it is already there on an intel X86 system maybe that is possible..

If not, this would then mean I would have to remove it from my NAS to place it in a compatible laptop to do a health check.. etc
That is not a very conducive method considering this would be a necessary component to monitor.

Any app already in place to do this for the TOS5.xxx platform or is this maybe something in the making or is there any other option to accommodate this?

Just thought I would ask as a Noobie? :D
F4-423 (24/08/2023)
20GB
2 x M.2 SSD NVMe 500GB 970 EVO Plus
(1 For TOS5 Boot and Apps - 1 For Hyper Cache) with a custom fabricated heatsink (L shaped) to cover both
4 x 1TB IronWolf in TRAID
TOS 5.1.67 + @current
TOS Language - English
Revamp

Re: NVMe - Diagnostic utility ?

Post by Revamp »

[at=outkastm post_id=29460 time=1693934175 user_id=2797][/at]
  • :D Excellent, thank you, I'll try this after my run-in soak test is complete..
If I am in need of a firmware update, ill do this on my laptop but just to access the NVMe details and FW version that's great..
  • Home Assistant, will be a core for me..
Like all busy guys are in need of a drink, I think i'll buy you a coffee.. ;)

Revamp..
F4-423 (24/08/2023)
20GB
(1 For TOS5 Boot and Apps - 1 For Hyper Cache) with a custom fabricated heatsink (L shaped) to cover both
TOS 5.1.67 + @current
TOS Language - English
outkastm

Post by outkastm »

You can actually perform the FW update with this, without needing to take the NVMe out of your NAS
Revamp

Post by Revamp »

Cool.... Thank you.. ;)

Yes, I did take note of the "-e" option but took heed of your initial advice.

I'll give that a go once I have fully hardware structured the NAS.. It is just a bare bones build at the moment soaking testing the hardware and kit to avoid and to invoke pre early failure (if any) before I invest lots of time configuring and experiment with it.

40hrs uptime and all good so far.. :D
F4-423 (24/08/2023)
20GB
TOS 5.1.67 + @current
TOS Language - English

Return to “New Features Wanted”