Zero Bite Files/Folders

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
McButterpants007

Zero Bite Files/Folders

Post by McButterpants007 »

Here is a little back story in the hops of helping. I have a 4 bay NAS and one of the drives failed in my RAID 5 config. I followed the steps (viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1545) in this thread and the drive cam back online. When going back into the files I noticed that 4 folders and thousands of files (but not all of them) were zero byte files.

With this information I tried to follow the (viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2575) this thread in an effort to fix things. The final conclusion came down to not being able to read/write or gain access to complete the corruption recovery. I can't even create a now folder on the NAS. I have backed up what I can and I am trying to recover the zero byte files.

My version: is 4.2.40-2006301044
Model: F4-220

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
McButterpants007

Re: Zero Bite Files/Folders

Update: I got this error

Warning: fopen(/var/log/zlog/http_2023-08-28.log): failed to open stream: Read-only file system in /usr/www/include/class/core.class.php on line 2861 Operation successful!

Don't know if this addition helps or hurts
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

It seems to be a serious error. TOS file error and volume file system error occur at the same time, which means that there is a high possibility of hard disk problem. It is recommended that you shut down and take out the hard disk, connect it to the computer and use hard disk tools to check bad sectors and parameters .If it is confirmed that it is a hard disk problem, you may only seek the help of a professional data recovery company to export the data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
McButterpants007

Update: I have removed each drive one at a time and formatted the drives, as well as completing a surface test. Each disk passed with 0 bad sectors, and was accepted back into the RAID.

To be honest I am starting to think this is a TOS issue, and not a disk issue. The next step that I am going to try is resetting back to factory default and try to install TOS 5.

I will leave this post here for the next couple days and see what the response is.
McButterpants007

Update: I have successfully updated the TOS to 5 with an update pending. ALL of my data that was lost been recovered and I am currently backing it up prior to proceeding. There is an update for the TOS system that I installed but I waiting until the backup is complete.

During the process there were 2 instances that caused the system to hang. I waited 30 min then I pressed the power button on the box. After the second hang I pulled all the drives and pressed the power button. After this time the system moved forward and prompted me to insert the drives. Once I went through the setup I was in the system. This is the point now where I am posting this update.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Have you verified your OS partition is suitable for tos5?
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)

Return to “Storage”