D4-300 Issue with 18TB drive

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
supercooled

D4-300 Issue with 18TB drive

Post by supercooled »

Just picked up my TDAS D4-300 from the postal and threw my drives in. 1 x Western Digital Red 18TB and 2x Iron Wolf 16TB. The Seagate show up correctly but I'm only registering 407.81GB for the WD.

Please help.
supercooled

Re: D4-300 Issue with 18TB drive

Post by supercooled »

Apologies but I couldn't find the Edit function.

Just an addendum: I'm connecting this to my Mac Mini's USB A port with the supplied cable. I'm running MacOS Ventura 13.4.1
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

The partition format of your hard disk appears to be from the previous device, it may not fully utilize all the space. Please format it before using it. (If there is data, please back it up first)
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
supercooled

Post by supercooled »

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 9.45.40 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 9.44.01 PM.png
These were fresh out of their static bag. I did notice while under the Raid tool in MacOS Ventura that it did report the correct size of 18TB.
supercooled

Post by supercooled »

Just an update: I had to use MacOS Disk Utility to create a Raid 1 using all the 3 drives I had in the D4-300 designating the WD Red as a Spare and Slices for the other 2 x 16TB drives that had no issues being recognized. Then went into Disk Utility again to simply Erase / format the WD Red as a separate volume. It doesn't seem to have broken the array thus far. Not ideal but it's working.

I asked this question on Amazon's product page about the speeds I was getting. The product description says it's capable of 5Gbps over USB-C but I'm maxing out at 250MB/s and wondered if the supplied cable is bottlenecking. I got a reply from OEM saying it was the maximum throughput of the hard disk read limit. Am I to assume the 5Gbps is only achievable through SSD? Under Striping configuration, I was able to hit a little higher, though not much.
TMLyy
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMLyy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}supercooled

If you replace ssd to transfer data, it may theoretically be faster. Of course, the transmission speed is also affected by the network, data source and file size.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “USB Series”