Does not meet the conditions for updating the TOS 5.1?

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
TT9K

Re: Does not meet the conditions for updating the TOS 5.1?

Post by TT9K »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TT9K
TMroy wrote: 23 Aug 2023, 19:00 Remove your old drive, and only insert the new drive without partition, install fresh new TOS 5.1, then you have 8GB system partition. By the way, do not reboot with mixed old and new system on different drives.
I did that 2 times. Finally figured it out. I was using my PC with EaseUS Partition Master to delete the 4 drive partitions on each of the disks. The problem was actually that even after this somehow TOS 5 clean install will only create a 2gb partition. The solution was to use windows disk management, format de drives to NTFS then use the EaseUS Partition Master and format to EX4. This way somehow the TOS install made the 8gb partition. Probably just deleting the partitions still made them visible to TOS.
topo01 wrote: 24 Aug 2023, 04:57 Didn't you see a warning in red and bold font with the update notification saying something about compatibility and partition sizes? I saw that warning even when I was already on TOS 5. But perhaps on TOS4 there is no warning. Anyways, the solution is to NOT update but to make a new clean install. Download the installation file (*.ins) not the update file. When prompted on the installation screen choose "custom", that allows you to select the downloaded file for installation.
The unit is new, initially I have booted and installed TOS 4.x, then seen the new 5.1 version available in the download section. I just deleted the partition on all my drives then did a clean custom install of the TOS 5.1 just to find the 2gb partition. As a conclusion, I did manage to solve it this way - Deleted all the partitions on each drive using disk management in Windows. - Formatted the drive to NTFS using disk management in Windows. - Used EaseUS Partition Master and formatted the drive again to EX4. - Powered my NAS with no drive - Connected to it and inserted the drives - Used the custom install and used the latest .ins TOS 5.1 file. - Selected to format to BTRFS. And finally the TOS 5.1 booted with the 8gb partition.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

My conclusion is not to format the drives prior to loading TOS, but to wipe (or security erase) the drive initially to remove everything. TOS will/should format as needed on install whether that be ext4 or btrfs, raid or not.

(I say this with my tounge in cheek, somewhat. TMSupport advised me - well after the event as it happens - that one of my earlier support requests showed I had 1 drive with 2Gb system partition and 2 drives with 8Gb system partition - 6 Gb ignored - in a 3 drive raid array. I had gone through much the same process. Installing TOS4, 'deleting everything', installing TOS5, increasing array size with brand new disks, etc, etc).
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TT9K
I see. So apparently just following the system prompts will lead the user into the partition issue.
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
Someguy

Post by Someguy »

I primarily use my F4-423 as a home media server.

I have four HDDs attached with a RAID 10 configuration. The data they house that is unrecoverable is a small portion, and is backed up.

A much larger portion is recoverable data, but it would take some time to reobtain. I do not have enough alternative storage available for this data, which is mostly the media, and again, this is replaceable, but it would take a lengthy amount of time.

Is there a method to:
1. Remove two of the drives, so I have two identical RAID 0 pairs.
2. Take one pair of drives, and reformat, creating an 8 GB system partition.
3. Copy the data (excluding the system partition) from the second pair of drives to the 8 GB system partition drives.
4. Wipe the second pair of drives.
5. Use the second pair of drives to return the configuration to RAID 10.

I'm newer to working with a NAS, but I'm struggling with understanding how this process would work. I'm hoping I could do all of this without having to directly connect the drives to my desktop, but that is an option.

Am I wasting my time considering alternatives like this here? Should I just bite the bullet and start over fresh?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Someguy

The devices that encounter partition problems are basically those that have used TOS4. Your device model is the latest batch, so there should be no such problem.
You can check whether the capacity of "/" is 2GB or 8GB in Control Panel-System Information-Overview (if it is 8GB, you don't need to consider this issue)
The method you expected cannot change the partition structure. If you really encounter such a situation, you can consider taking out the two disks (you need to confirm that the data integrity is not affected), delete the partition, and then use it to install TOS.
After the installation is complete, put the old disk in and manually create the storage and copy it. Some technical details are more complicated. If necessary, you can contact technical support for help.
Since there are unknown risks in related operations, backup is still the best choice.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Someguy

Post by Someguy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

What you're saying is inaccurate, at least to my case. I purchased my F4-423 a little over a year ago from Amazon.

When I started it up, it was on TOS 4.X. First thing I did was updated to TOS 5.X. I chose default settings, if there were even options for them.

The capacity shown in my general settings for "/" is 1.84 GB. I don't recall the set-up process very clearly from a year ago, but I believe this is what the partition set itself to automatically.
MapaM
Spain

Post by MapaM »

Hello.

I apologize but my English is quite poor and I have gotten lost with the requirements posts and with the questions and configurations of the users, so I will be direct. This is my F2-221, does it qualify for TOS 6?

Thanks for everything.

F2-221 + D4-300
10Gb RAM, 34Tb
JakeF150

Post by JakeF150 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar
Someguy wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 09:01 What you're saying is inaccurate, at least to my case. I purchased my F4-423 a little over a year ago from Amazon. When I started it up, it was on TOS 4.X. First thing I did was updated to TOS 5.X. I chose default settings, if there were even options for them. The capacity shown in my general settings for "/" is 1.84 GB. I don't recall the set-up process very clearly from a year ago, but I believe this is what the partition set itself to automatically.
My F2-220 I believe came with TOS 3 (I could be wrong, but it is really old) and I am running 5.1.41 with a root "/" of ~2GB. The upgrades to 5.1.x would fail, but performing a full install (pull drives, then put back after prompt) worked without losing my data. Have not tried 5.1.67 yet.
Model: F2-220, Memory: 4gb, Drives: 2x3tb raid 0, Backup: 5tb usb, Version: 5.1.123
JakeF150

Post by JakeF150 »

Untitled.jpg
Model: F2-220, Memory: 4gb, Drives: 2x3tb raid 0, Backup: 5tb usb, Version: 5.1.123
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

JakeF150 wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 20:27
My F2-220 I believe came with TOS 3 (I could be wrong, but it is really old) and I am running 5.1.41 with a root "/" of ~2GB. The upgrades to 5.1.x would fail, but performing a full install (pull drives, then put back after prompt) worked without losing my data.

Have not tried 5.1.67 yet.
What you are saying is plausible but, as you have observed, you still only have a (nominal) 2GB System partition. Upgrading does not increase the partition size automatically. It recognises and uses the existing partition size. Modifying the partition is something the user has to take care of "manually". At this level, 5.1.nn, there is a (high) risk of the upgrade failing. Unfortunately the failure does not appear really predictable since it may depend on what is added (apps, etc) to each system. The only thing we know for certain is that upgrade to TOS6 will be blocked on a 2GB system partition.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)

Return to “Update Notice”