Does not meet the conditions for updating the TOS 5.1?

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Does not meet the conditions for updating the TOS 5.1?

Post by TMRyan »

Operation Guide

Applicable Model:
F2-220, F2-420, F4-220, F4-420, F5-420, F2-221, F2-421, F2-422, F4-221,
F4-421, F4-422, F5-221, F5-421, F5-422, F8-421, F8-422, F2-423, F4-423,
T6-423, T9-423, T12-423, T9-450, U4-423, U8-423, U8-450, U12-423

Updating TOS 5.1 requires an 8GB system partition and TOS version not lower than 5.0.176.

To check the system partition, please go to "TOS > Control Panel > System Information > Overview", and then check the free space from the "/" item.
8 GB System partition.png
Updating TOS 5.1 when the conditions are not met will cause the TOS page to always be stuck on a blank interface, or the display "Loading..., please wait" will continue to appear. In this case, you need to reinstall the system.

Cause Analysis:
Because TOS 5.1 has more features, the system files need more storage space, so the system partition of TOS 5.1 is required to be 8GB, but the system partition created by TOS 4.x/TOS 3.x is only 2GB. If your system partition is 2GB, the update to the TOS 5.1 will fail due to insufficient system partition space.

Solution:
1. The TOS version does not meet the conditions:
Earlier TOS versions cannot be directly updated to TOS 5.1, and must be manually updated step by step in the following order: 5.0.120 -> 5.0.176 -> 5.1.24 -> 5.1.40(Or newer TOS version)
The following is the TOS update package download:
TOS 5.0.176: https://download2.terra-master.com/TOS_ ... 111430.bz2
TOS 5.1.24: https://download2.terra-master.com/TOS_ ... 270938.bz2
TOS 5.1.40: https://download2.terra-master.com/TOS_ ... 291835.bz2

2. The system partition does not meet the conditions:
If your TNAS system partition is 2G and is used normally, you can keep using the current TOS system version. If you want to update to TOS 5.1, you have to back up all the data in the hard disk, delete all hard disk partitions, and then reinstall a fresh new TOS 5.1 system.

How to delete all hard disk partitions:
1. Connect the hard disk to the PC with a SATA cable or a USB hard disk enclosure, and then use the disk management tool of the PC to delete the partitions.
2. If there is no USB hard disk enclosure and SATA cable, you can refer to this method:
After performing the following operations, the installation system will delete all data on the hard disk, please back up the data first:
a) Turn off TNAS, unplug all hard disks, turn on TNAS, and use TNAS PC to search for IP. After the search is complete, insert the hard disk that needs to delete the partition.
b), login ssh: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=2350
Username: root Password: admin Port: 9222
c) Type the following command and press the "Enter" key to view the hard disk divided into 4 partitions.

Code: Select all

ls /dev/sd*

For example: In the figure below, only the c drive shows four partitions, so to format the sdc disk, enter the following:
1. Type the following command and press the "Enter" key

parted /dev/sdc
2. Type the following command and press the "Enter" key to view the size of the hard disk partition.

p

3. Type the following command and press the "Enter" key to delete the fourth partition.

rm 4
4. Type the following command and press the "Enter" key to delete the third partition.

rm 3
5. Type the following command and press the "Enter" key to delete the second partition.

rm 2
6. Type the following command and press the "Enter" key to delete the first partition.

rm 1
7. Type the following command and press the "Enter" key to exit the operation.

q
8. Type the following command and press the "Enter" key to check whether the partition is deleted.

ls /dev/sd*
9. When sdc shows that there is no partition, open the browser and choose to install the system online.
disk.png
Note: Please do not delete the partitions of other disks without four partitions. They may be your USB or TNAS built-in USB boot disk.

Precautions:
1. If you need to delete the hard disk partition, please back up all the data first, and deleting the partition will delete all the data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
rightLANE

Re: Do not meet the conditions for updating the TOS 5.1.40 version?

Post by rightLANE »

Would another option to adjust the system partition size be to remove the drives from the NAS and hook up externally to a PC and adjust the size using partition software?
F2-221 2x 10TB Exos X14
josemolina

Post by josemolina »

Hi, I have a F5-422 and my system partition is under 2.0GB, so it doesn´t meet conditions for update. I would like to update TOS to 5.1.40.
Currently i have three 6TB HDD installed in the unit with a BTRFS format and a TRAID configuration.
In order to update TOS, which HDD do i need to reformat? One of them, all of them?

Basically i need to start clean and remove all data and reinstall everything?
UncleJohnsBand

Post by UncleJohnsBand »

rightLANE wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 22:10 Would another option to adjust the system partition size be to remove the drives from the NAS and hook up externally to a PC and adjust the size using partition software?
I think that is what #1 above states to do?

2. The system partition does not meet the conditions:
If your TNAS system partition is 2G and is used normally, you can also use the current TOS system version. If you want to update to TOS 5.1.40, please back up all the data in the hard disk, delete all hard disk partitions, and then reinstall the TOS 5.1.40 system.
How to delete all hard disk partitions:
1. Connect the hard disk to the PC with a sata cable or a hard disk box, and then use the disk management tool of the PC to delete the partition.
2. If there is no hard disk box and sata cable, you can refer to this method:
UncleJohnsBand

Post by UncleJohnsBand »

So the note above has me confused when looking at the steps....

Note: Do not delete the four partitions that are not displayed, this is USB InitBoot, which is used to boot and install TOS.

Below is what I see from the ls /dev/sd* command. Are you just saying with that note to only delete the 1-4 partitions on the SDA drive?

/dev/sda /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdc2 /dev/sdd
/dev/sda1 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb2 /dev/sdc /dev/sdc3 /dev/sdd1
/dev/sda2 /dev/sdb /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdc4

For me SDA and SDB are my paired 3gb drives I use for my raid.
SDC is a stand alone SDD.
SDD is my connected 1TB USB drive that my data is currently backed up to.

Just looking to make sure if I have to do SDA and SDB or just SDA and will by SDC (SDD) drive remain ok through this and will the SDC (USB) be fine as well since that is where the data is I need to restore.

Please advise.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMRyan
I'm confused - especially by this:
Updating TOS 5.1.40 needs to meet two conditions at the same time: 1. The TOS version is 5.1.24 or higher. 2. The system partition is 2GB.
Surely Item (2) is not right? Especially considering the rest of the text.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

rightLANE wrote: 15 Jul 2023, 22:10 Would another option to adjust the system partition size be to remove the drives from the NAS and hook up externally to a PC and adjust the size using partition software?

If you allocate some space to the system partition from the later partition, it will cause damage to the later data partition.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

josemolina wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 00:08 Hi, I have a F5-422 and my system partition is under 2.0GB, so it doesn´t meet conditions for update. I would like to update TOS to 5.1.40.
Currently i have three 6TB HDD installed in the unit with a BTRFS format and a TRAID configuration.
In order to update TOS, which HDD do i need to reformat? One of them, all of them?

Basically i need to start clean and remove all data and reinstall everything?
These steps need to be performed on all hard drives, and the data of all hard drives needs to be backed up.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMRyan
Gremlin wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 21:14 I'm confused - especially by this:
Updating TOS 5.1.40 needs to meet two conditions at the same time: 1. The TOS version is 5.1.24 or higher. 2. The system partition is 2GB.
Surely Item (2) is not right? Especially considering the rest of the text.
Thank you, we have corrected the description error.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

;)
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)

Return to “Update Notice”