Does not meet the conditions for updating the TOS 5.1?

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
uasdfnasfdj

Re: Does not meet the conditions for updating the TOS 5.1?

Post by uasdfnasfdj »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar
Hey
I don't understand, what you are trying to tell me. I've done all steps from the intructions from the starting post. It does not work.
What are the next steps to try?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}uasdfnasfdj
Perhaps you are absolutely right, but is there a small possibility that you may have accidentally missed something?
After following the instructions, the partition format should not change to the format shown in your screenshot.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Slightly off-topic: Why has the support site deleted installation and update packages higher than TOS 5.0.176 ????????? (for F5-422 and F5-221 for example) Makes it wxtremely difficult to advise other users if they want to install 5.1 and cannot achieve it via upgrade path........... I realise your main web sites recently had some problems, but deleting viable packages does not seem the right way to instil confidence.

Or, is something else at work here............
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
LuisB

Post by LuisB »

topo01 wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 17:33 Just want to share my upgrade journey with my F2-220 starting at TOS 5.1.33 (2GB system partition) and migrating to 5.1.41 (8GB system partition).
I used the SSH + parted method to do everything on the system itself.
Thanks topo01 for the detailed instructions and download link
uasdfnasfdj

Post by uasdfnasfdj »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar
at=TMzethar
TMzethar wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 14:14 Perhaps you are absolutely right, but is there a small possibility that you may have accidentally missed something? After following the instructions, the partition format should not change to the format shown in your screenshot.
After following the instructions -> there are no partitions as you can see in the screenshot. I have followed the instructions once again to show you:
Screenshot_20240306_210526_PartitionsDeleted.png
There are no partitions on the target drive, but still: After installing TOS 5.1, the NAS never comes back. Not via SSH, nor via Web GUI. What I am missing?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

how many HDD/SDD are you using? I cannot help but think you are carrying out operations on one drive, but that another (or more) are still carrying conflicting information.

which installation package are you using? (*.ins)
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
uasdfnasfdj

Post by uasdfnasfdj »

Gremlin wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 07:22 how many HDD/SDD are you using? I cannot help but think you are carrying out operations on one drive, but that another (or more) are still carrying conflicting information.

which installation package are you using? (*.ins)
Hey Gremlin,

I tried all variants that came into my mind:
- Update from the existing TOS 4.x to TOS 5.0 (TOS_X642.0_Update_5.0.176_00227_2210111430.bz2)
- Delete all partitions and fresh install of a) TOS 5.0 (TOS_X642.0_5.0.176_00227_2210111430.ins) and b) TOS 5.1 (TOS_X642.0_5.1.40_00005_2306291835.ins)
- 3 different Disks (only one at a time)

The /dev/sda is the internal storage of the NAS itself (boot image). That is responsible for the Init procress (and in my opinion also for the 2 GB small partition), see /etc/tos.conf (post 26 Feb 2024, 21:07 from me). That's why I asked, how to update the boot image, which is also available for download on the devices page (common_bootloader_V5.1.47.img).

@TMzethar: Maybe, you can help.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}uasdfnasfdj
Your usage situation is somewhat unique. What information does it output when you input the following command?

Code: Select all

uname - a
We suggest that you contact the customer service window or technical support email to make an appointment for remote assistance to troubleshoot the issue of not being able to install with the new partitions.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

uasdfnasfdj wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 22:09
The /dev/sda is the internal storage of the NAS itself (boot image).
Sorry, I did see your post but got tied up by other things.

Your comment about /dev/sda is not really correct imo. I think you may be confusing /dev/sda with the internal USB flash which carries the basic init files. (These are not used once a viable TOS system is installed. )

In my systems (TOS5.1 and up) both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb are hdd which contain the various partitions
sda1, sda2, sda3, sda4, .......sda(n)
sdb1, sdb2, sdb3, sdb4, .......sda(n)
[Typical 2 x HDD arrangement]
sdc1, sdc2, sdc3, sdc4, ........sdc(n)
and so on
[3 x HDD and more]

[(n) would increase for every additional Volume created on the drives]

Typically in TOS, the system partitions are mirrored across every HDD regardless of the manner in which data volumes are arranged. (Although this may change in TOS6 or subsequent versions esp. where NVME/etc drives are available.)
Hence in a typical installation
sd(a,b,c,etc)1 are the boot/init partitions (less than 500MB)
sd(a,b,c,etc)2 are the system partitions (nominal 8GB in TOS5.1)
sd(a,b,c,etc)3 are the swap partitions (nominal 2GB in TOS5.1)
sd(a,b,c,etc)[4....n] are the data partitions

My suggestion would be that you take one drive (for now) and perform a 'secure erase' on it (via a desktop system). That will give you a clean drive. Try installing 5.1 on that using 'custom install' and TRAID (presuming you want raid). If that works you can secure erase the other disks and add them , one at a time, to the TRAID already established.
uasdfnasfdj

Post by uasdfnasfdj »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar
Output for uname -a

Code: Select all

Linux TNAS 4.13.16 #167 SMP Tue Aug 6 10:39:40 CST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Somewhat unique? Why? It's a normal Terramaster NAS with compliant disks, that is not able to install the latest TOS with the instructions from the first post. But anyways. I mailed support for help. Will let everyone know, if they have a solution. @Gremlin: Regarding /dev/sda, we use different words to describe the same thing. Regarding your tip to "secure erase" with one drive. This is what I tried in various ways and multiple disks.

Return to “Update Notice”