Does not meet the conditions for updating the TOS 5.1?

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
Someguy

Re: Do not meet the conditions for updating the TOS 5.1.40 version?

Post by Someguy »

Chief wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 23:39 ...

Interestingly, it looks like the HDD did not lose any data. I was expecting to have to reload everything from a recent backup, but as near as I can tell all directories and files survived the install to 5.1.40. This was a pleasant surprise.

@topo01, that's the impression I'm under, but when I saw Chief's post, I see where he was expecting to have to restore a backup, and instead, all directories and files survived. I'm trying to figure out what I'm not understanding that either makes that possible, or if I've got some gap in comprehension in Chief has said.
topo01
Germany

Re: Does not meet the conditions for updating the TOS 5.1?

Post by topo01 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Someguy
Right, I have noticed those reports.
But I think the additional 6GB for the new system partition can only be taken away from the data partition. Therefore we cannot be sure there is no damage even if the TOC looks good.
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Hello again. I don't think the original post on this thread was particularly well written. It makes some assumptions and misses out on some valuable screen shots which might have made things clearer.
("In the image below ......." and I don't see an image.)

Lots of talk of 4 partitions. OK, that may be true if you have 1 volume! I have 2 volumes on my storage pool and 5 Partitions (add 1 for each additional pool). I also have 3 drives - so sda, sdb, sdc. Some of you may not. (more OR less)

The point of accessing the NAS via ssh or sh (I actually use telnet since I don't worry about the security side for now) is that this process is intended for users who do not have access to a PC based partition manager and need to manipulate disks in situ on the NAS. The effects will be the same; delete the partitions and you will lose data. In my case /dev/sda5 (with /dev/sdb5 and /dev/sdc5) will be Volume 2. I say "with" because I am using TRaid btrfs setup.

If you can sh into nas you can try 'cfdisk' to view the device arrangement. (I don't advocate using it other than as a viewer since we don't know if it is capable under TOS.) The defaulkt is /dev/sda.
You can call 'cfdisk /dev/sdb' and-so-on to look at companion drives. This will show you ( at the bottom of the graphic) what each partition represents as you use the cursor to skip through them. [Just type 'q' to exit]

The point about gaining an 8Gb system partition and not losing data is just an undocumented 'trick'. Undocumented since TM won't comment on it. In my case I didn't care about the data and my NAS would not boot properly (white browser screen syndrome). So I downloaded a TOS INSTALLATION package (.ins). I then used that installation package to re-install TOS at 5.n level (I honestly don't remember what was available at the moment). The data that was on the array survived and I achieved an 8Gb system partition. (I also had a current saved configuration which helped with resetting things like users, but not permissions.)

Note: When attempting a "re-install update", input an administrator name and password that is already in use on the system. Don't expect 'admin' or variations thereof or new administrator names to work sucessfully for existing data folders.

I don't have the resources to experiment on different scenarios - wish I did - so I can't even offer a suposition of what may work with x + Y + z setups or why this even worked.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
UncleJohnsBand
United States of America

Post by UncleJohnsBand »

[at=topo01 post_id=28726 time=1690563575 user_id=6189][/at]

Yes.... Correct... :D
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

Just want to share my upgrade journey with my F2-220 starting at TOS 5.1.33 (2GB system partition) and migrating to 5.1.41 (8GB system partition).
I used the SSH + parted method to do everything on the system itself.

Preparation:
  1. Backed up all data to USB drive using USB-Copy.
  2. Docker: Wrote down all the settings of my containers (Nextcloud + mariaDB, AdGuard Home)
  3. Backed up TOS system settings but only as a safety measure. I didn’t use it later on as I don’t have many users and was afraid those old setting may cause trouble in the newer TOS. Also to me it is not clear what exactly is included in this backup file.
  4. Downloaded .ins file (https://download2.terra-master.com/TOS_ ... 180817.ins)
  5. Stopped my Docker containers.
  6. Turned off my NAS
Deleting discs / disc partitions:
  1. With the NAS OFF I removed both my discs (I only have a RAID1 with two disc).
  2. Turned on my NAS
  3. Once the system was up (the webpage said something like “there are no discs…”) I logged in with SSH from my laptop.
  4. Followed the steps in the OP to delete all 4 partitions on the first disk.
  5. With the system still turned on I removed the 1st disc and inserted the 2nd disc.
  6. Followed the steps in the OP to delete all 4 partitions on the second disk.
System Installation:
  • Inserted the 1st disc – now both (all) discs were inserted and the initialization process stared on the webpage.
  • On the webpage I chose “custom” (NOT “online”) and uploaded the .ins file.
  • After a reboot the webpage greeted me with the horrible background picture (that poor torture inbred creature – I think it is supposed to be a dog) which I immediately had to replace. But then I had a nice fresh and virgin TOS 5.1.41.
  • However, then it took about 3 – 4 hours for the RAID1 array to sync (2 TB + 2 TB).
  • I was curious if any of my data has survived this process but it didn’t. The file app showed no shares and no data. System disc usage confirmed empty discs. As mentioned before: I did NOT restore my system backup intentionally as I wanted to have a fresh start.
Data Restore:
  • Manually re-created users and shares.
  • Installed USB-Copy to restore my data to the shares.
Docker:
  • Installed Docker app and Portainer.
  • To me it was not possible to get my Nextcloud setup re-use the restored persistent volumes with data and database (so much for “persistence” with the horrible Docker implementation on TOS!). I ended up with a completely new Nextcloud installation (still in Docker) and painfully having to manually upload 500GB of data through each users Nextcloud webpage.
Now, after one day the system looks good. Also I was much encouraged by the positive feedbacks for 5.1.41 (or rather the lack of negative ones!). Though I don’t use Plex or media server that have repeatedly caused concerned forum posts from other users.
Generally speaking I still have some pain points like the problems I had with Docker (+ docker-compose + Portainer) or the poor TOS backup options (USB-Copy has much improved recently but still has issues).
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Thanks for the write up. Small point: In disc/partition deletion I think you missed step "insert first disc". :ugeek: :)
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

Gremlin wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 18:24 ... Small point: In disc/partition deletion I think you missed step "insert first disc". :ugeek: :)
Correct - Thanks!
I haven't yet figured out how to edit a post once it is submitted.
TT9K

Post by TT9K »

Something is not working in the 2->8gb migration.

I've just got a new F4-421 unit that came with 4.x version. With brand new formatted drives with no partitions I went up ahead and did directly the "custom" install to 5.1, only to find that my partition is the small 2gb one. What did I do wrong? What should I do to get the 8gb partition?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Remove your old drive, and only insert the new drive without partition, install fresh new TOS 5.1, then you have 8GB system partition. By the way, do not reboot with mixed old and new system on different drives.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TT9K
Didn't you see a warning in red and bold font with the update notification saying something about compatibility and partition sizes? I saw that warning even when I was already on TOS 5. But perhaps on TOS4 there is no warning.

Anyways, the solution is to NOT update but to make a new clean install. Download the installation file (*.ins) not the update file. When prompted on the installation screen choose "custom", that allows you to select the downloaded file for installation.

Return to “Update Notice”