NAS Unresponsive - Load 100%

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: NAS Unresponsive - Load 100%

Post by TMroy »

pobotrol wrote: 24 Jun 2023, 23:30 Thanks for your help Gremlin, sorry, I'm trying my best! It's been a bit of a roller coaster over the past week or so!

OK, I've got a 1TB drive which the System Partition is on and I install apps on, that's what I'd refer to as the "System Drive".
Then I've got four 10TB drives which are individual disks on EXT or BTRFS (could have been better planned I know!) and just contain media.

I reinstalled TOS using TOS_X642.0_5.0.176_00227_2210111430.ins
From the Support download page:
https://support.terra-master.com/downlo ... ct=F5-221

I checked the system partition had been created at the larger size before updating to TOS 5.1
How long have you been using your F5-221?
What did you mean you reinstalled TOS 5.0.176? what is your previous version before reinstallation?
Where did your four 10TB drives come from? they have been used for while in TOS? if yes, what system running four 10TB drives?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
pobotrol

Post by pobotrol »

Yes, the "system drive" is the one next to the LEDs
No, I didn't wipe the other drives, as finding space to temporarily store 30TB data was beyond my means.
I managed to take a system backup on 5.0.176 before wiping the disk and reinstalling 5.0.176, then restoring that system backup.
Checking the disks were accessible before upgrading, which they were, but they had started churning.
Then upgrading to 5.1.0

I've actually made some progress. Plugging in the other drives right to left, I've accessed two of the drives quite happily and loaded TOS. Getting less happier results from the other two drives
pobotrol

Post by pobotrol »

Hi TMRoy,
How long have you been using your F5-221?
I've had it since January 2022, but it was a replacement for a F4-221 that had a power problem, which I originally got in May 2020
What did you mean you reinstalled TOS 5.0.176? what is your previous version before reinstallation?
I'd upgraded to 5.1 not realising the restriction with the 2GB system partition, so wiped the drive removed all partitions and reinstalled TOS 5.0.176
Where did your four 10TB drives come from? they have been used for while in TOS? if yes, what system running four 10TB drives?

They are all NAS HDDs that I've bought over the last three years, one by one as I needed more space (which is why I hadn't been using RAID!), they have all only been used in TOS, on the F4-221/F5-221 systems I've had.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

pobotrol wrote: 25 Jun 2023, 14:44 Yes, the "system drive" is the one next to the LEDs
No, I didn't wipe the other drives, as finding space to temporarily store 30TB data was beyond my means.
I managed to take a system backup on 5.0.176 before wiping the disk and reinstalling 5.0.176, then restoring that system backup.
Checking the disks were accessible before upgrading, which they were, but they had started churning.
Then upgrading to 5.1.0

I've actually made some progress. Plugging in the other drives right to left, I've accessed two of the drives quite happily and loaded TOS. Getting less happier results from the other two drives
Thanks for explaining. However, I suspect you may have missed a vital point. I am sure TM has some documentation somewhere, but Synology does it better imo. Please read the following and the follow up link at the bottom of that page:
https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/tutor ... partitions

TNAS and Synology DSM are virtually identical as a concept (how and why is subject to debate). To paraphrase:

The System partition is installed on EVERY drive in the box. The multiple system partitions are AUTOMATICALLY configured as RAID (1). If you have reinstalled TOS to get an 8GB system partition on ONLY 1 DRIVE, there is a complete mismatch in the other drives that still only have 2Gb system partition. The NAS will likely boot on the one drive (no 1 in this case with 8gb system partition). Otherwise it might boot to a 2Gb system partition (one of three) [with some other TOS version?]. Either way the device is seeing a broken raid with all 4 drives installed.

I think what you did, with the best of intentions, has left you with possibly bigger issues. If it is possible to boot the old disks and recover your data I do not know - @TMsupport might have some clues - but you are still going to have to do it.

Unless the Data is of no significance you DO need that backup anyway.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
pobotrol

Post by pobotrol »

Thank, that makes a lot of sense, thank for the explanation.
In their instructions here viewtopic.php?f=76&t=4655 it maybe could have been more explicit. I took...
To check the free space of your system partition,
Go to "TOS > Control panel > System Info > Overview", and check free space from the item of "/" .
to mean there is only one system partition.

I did contact support to ask if my approach would work. At first they said "wipe everything!", then when I explained what I was doing they were "OK, go for it (but backup everything!)".

I think I have a plan for going forward, as I have enough room for a clean 10TB drive, which I can clear the offending partition and then disk by disk build a Raid array, copying data from the next disk on to the new setup, and then clearing down that disk and adding it raid.
At least for the data I can access. For what I can't I'll have to find another way to try and recover the data. A new adventure!

Return to “System Resources”