TerraMaster Hyper Cache

More about TOS 5 new features and improvements. Note: this forum is not for bug report! If you want to report bug, please go to the correct forum.
Aakriti

Re: TerraMaster Hyper Cache

Post by Aakriti »

ElPabloMaximo wrote: 26 Sep 2023, 19:40 @TMRoy

I guess my expectation was that I would be able to create a hypercache out of a mirrored pair of NVME and carve that pool up amongst more than one volume as I can with other appliances. Not that I can ONLY use the mirrored set for ONLY one volume.
Hi friend
When hardware constraints limit flexibility in pooling and partitioning storage, it is upsetting. Being able to allocate resources as needed can completely alter the situation.
djacobson

Post by djacobson »

I know it's 1 SSD per volume. But I just wanted to verify that if I have a 2TB SSD and install it, the largest cache I can create on it is 757GB. (I think.) The rest of the 1.3-1.4TB left is wasted, correct? Better to use a 1TB SSD, yes?

Thanks
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Your idea is reasonable, as the remaining 1.3-1.4T cannot be used currently after you have create a 757GB cache.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Never been quite clear on this, but does the selected cache size determine the amount of system memory consumed by cache? (I don't have a need for cache in my system.) If so, then maybe 500Gb ssd might be more cost effective and set whole of it for cache. (Or a large % to leave some headroom if desired).
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Darsh

Post by Darsh »

ElPabloMaximo wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 10:43 More than one Hyper Cache be created in the system. It seems that only one Hyper Cache can be created and it can be assigned to only one volume which is very limiting. IMO, creating only one volume in a system is always a bad idea.
Agreed! The development of only one Hyper Cache per system and its confinement to a single volume presents issues for system optimization. The option to construct numerous Hyper Caches across different volumes would provide greater flexibility and better cater to a wider range of storage requirements.
Darsh

Post by Darsh »

ElPabloMaximo wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 10:43 More than one Hyper Cache be created in the system. It seems that only one Hyper Cache can be created and it can be assigned to only one volume which is very limiting. IMO, creating only one volume in a system is always a bad idea.
Agreed, the limitation of creating only one Hyper Cache and assigning it to a single volume can be restrictive. Diversifying volumes in a system is often essential for effective management. Advocating for the flexibility to create multiple Hyper Caches could significantly enhance system customization and optimization.Gb whatsapp Download
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Darsh

Now you are plagiarizing yourself! Silly.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
CraftyClown

Post by CraftyClown »

djacobson wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 02:16 I know it's 1 SSD per volume. But I just wanted to verify that if I have a 2TB SSD and install it, the largest cache I can create on it is 757GB. (I think.) The rest of the 1.3-1.4TB left is wasted, correct? Better to use a 1TB SSD, yes?

Thanks
    I think the cache size is relative to the amount of RAM you have installed. I was only able to use about 300gig on a 1TB SSD when I had 4gig of RAM, however once I added a 16gig stick I was able to use the full amount
    mightymouse

Post by mightymouse »

Need some advice please on Hyper Caching vs using the SSDs as a Storage Pool for my case.

I have 2x 20TB drives at RAID 1 and 2x4TB SSDs available.

On my previous system so far I only used one of the 4 TB SSD to store, download and seed my media library and that was enough space for me though sometimes it gets a little tight. I thought if I add a second SSD and make it 8TB with a Raid 0 that should be plenty and would effectively let me operate a "pure SSD" setup. For data security, I was planning doing a daily rsync backup of the SSD pool to the HDD pool and I am happy to accept the risk of losing 1 day's worth of changes.

Now with Hyper Caching being an option... Does it make sense to continue with my original plan or should I just use one (or both) of the 4TB as a cache instead and "officially" have the media library on the HDD pool? What RAMS requirement do I need for a 4 or 8TB cache?
    TMzethar
    TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}mightymouse
    If you want to build RAID0, you can only delete the existing storage pool and use two SSDs to create a new one. Therefore, you need to back up your data first.
    If you mainly use SSD as read/write storage, you don't need to use SSD as cache anymore, which does not improve read/write speed. (Because your storage and cache are both SSDs)
    To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
    Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
    Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Know More About TOS 5”