KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Install virtual machines on your TNAS;
mmick

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Post by mmick »

I bought my new F4-423, fully updated (TOS 5.1.33) and updated with terramaster`s extra 4 GB RAM (total 8 GB RAM)

I installed the latest available virtualbox over the store (6.1.18) and tried to install a W10 22H2 64-bit (the latest) image.

- I tested with dozens of different combinations, lets say virtualbox default + 2-core CPU + 4 GB RAM assigned to the VM
- W10 has no issues doing the first part of the install (file copy + some settings) >> then it normally reboots
- after the reboot, W10 boot the first time where it starts again setting everything up and comes always to a BSOD with KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
- it reboots again and then shows up another error (about the same thing but a white box), then reboots and does the same thing over and over
- it doesn`t even boots completely one time

I searched some foruns and it seems that it has to do
- with newer CPUs (Intel 10th gen and up)
- virtualbox up to 6.1.18 (which is the one from Terramaster)

It seems to be ok above this version but there is none from Terramaster.

Any (easy) ideas???
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Post by TMzethar »

Hi, can you provide some related screenshots? Can you tell the address to download the image?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
mmick

Post by mmick »

TMzethar wrote: 31 May 2023, 10:08 Hi, can you provide some related screenshots? Can you tell the address to download the image?
The same as this:

rebelo92

Post by rebelo92 »

Same problem here. for windows 10 and 8.1. only worked with older windows 7
any solution?
dmncstech

Post by dmncstech »

I too get KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

I have tried win 7 32/64, 10 and 11

History:
I just recently ( 5 days ago ) got this unit. All software is up to date.
Running plex no issues
Running backups no issues

Will this problem go away if I down rev TOS to previous version ?
Or will you guys have a patch / work around soon ?

I really need Virtualbox to work, one of the reason I got this unit !!
mmick

Post by mmick »

AFAIK and I read tones of blogs, the issue is solely VirtualBox's fault as this exact version has an issue with newer CPUs. On most blogs state that, 1 or 2 newer compilations already work. Last year, on Q4 2022 someone from Terramaster already promised a newer version, after 8 months still no newer version.
dmncstech

Post by dmncstech »

I thought I would update the forum on my partial success

My config:
F4-423 with 32 gigs of memory
4 4tb seagate nas drives
TRaid = 10.89 Tb of useable space
TOS 5.1.37.00031
Plex Server
Virtualbox

Knowing / Guessing it's a driver issues from seeing the point of failure and seeing some successful youtube "how to's", it occurred to me to disable the vm's virtual network driver before attempting to install win 10.

I wanted to share my partial success installing Win 10 and booting it up.
Virtualbox settings.

cpu's = 2
memory = 8096
network connection = cable unplugged

The key factor being the network connection is disabled before you install Win. That was the only change I made and it let me install windows.

Its only a partial success because when you start changing or messing with drivers it wants to reboot after a couple of minutes.

For instance, I changed the vm display from the default 1024 x 768 to 1600 x 1200 ( 32 " monitor ) and after a few minutes the system just abruptly Restarted. For the moment I can live with 1024 x 768 res.

I mapped an network share to the vm, accessed it and after a few minutes the vm restarted.

The odd things is that it appears to be only the first instance that triggers a restart. After the restart you can access the share and no problem. Very hit and miss.

I installed PIA VPN no problem. Connected and the vm continues to run.

One other oddity is that you have to power the vm down to change cd ISOs. Then go into the vm settings and change the image then power back up to use it.

I will keep you guys posted if you like.
mmick

Post by mmick »

It's interesting but the solution is to have it working on terramaster's side, not workarounds or put up with restarts.

I would advice everyone to write to terramaster (I already did it one month ago) to hurry up the update.

Terramaster already promised a new version last year and nothing happened...
mmick

Post by mmick »

New TOS 5.1.40/41 what is great news, updated netatalk version but ... no Virtualbox updates! :evil:
mmick

Post by mmick »

Hi admins, any news from Virtualbox (update) & Terrasync (desktop and mobile apps)?

Return to “Virtual Machines”