TOS 5.1.37 (X86) is Released for Update

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
bbezanson

Re: TOS 5.1.37 (X86) is Released for update

Post by bbezanson »

TMroy wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 11:05
TMroy wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 14:23
norman0 wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 05:12 Do you really think the users are stupid? Four different people here report that the fan is louder in standby after the update. It does not rotate at a lower speed, it is clearly audible.
OK, we will check again and resolve it if we can verify the issue.
We have verified the fan issue. In some cases, during drive hibernation, the fan speed may randomly shift from low to medium speed, we will fix it in next update.
Any timeframe on the next update? On my F4-220 should I stay at 5.1.34?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

If you have a 2GB system partition, you better stay.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
norman0
Germany

Post by norman0 »

TMroy wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 11:05
TMroy wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 14:23
norman0 wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 05:12 Do you really think the users are stupid? Four different people here report that the fan is louder in standby after the update. It does not rotate at a lower speed, it is clearly audible.
OK, we will check again and resolve it if we can verify the issue.
We have verified the fan issue. In some cases, during drive hibernation, the fan speed may randomly shift from low to medium speed, we will fix it in next update.
Great, thank you.
F2-220 4GB + 2*Seagate IronWolf 4TB
sports_wook

Post by sports_wook »

F2-220 here with initial install version of TOS 3, then TOS 4, now on TOS 5.1.37. After first installing 5.1.37 I experienced the 2gb root partition issue, which was extremely frustrating as I tried every way possible to reinstall the system in hopes the updates/reinstalls would fix the root partition size issue. After a week of countless attempts, I finally gave in and backed up everything to an external drive, erased the drives in the NAS and completely started over with a brand new install. I now have an 8gb root partition and system seems much more stable.

Very frustrating and painful process, but glad to finally have a working system again. I was close to ditching TM/TOS altogether but wanted to give it one last chance with a fresh start on completely erased drives. So far so good.
jgea

Post by jgea »

I have a F4-421 and I have 1.67/1.84 Gb in the system partition.

I have 5.1.33_00360.

Should I update or what is the solution for us?

Backing everything up and recreating the RAID it's so painful that I'm considering going to another brand because the problems with TOS have been continuous, I had to reinstall TOS around 4 times since I have the NAS, and I have it for less than a year, even 6 months, I don't remember exactly.

SO If I have to recreate everything I may be better in a different NAS, I don't like the idea of changing and it's a investment that goes to the trash, but I cannot afford reinstalling continuously and having to stop my work with problems with a system that should be pretty autonomous.

What is the futur for TOS? Will this be solved without having to recreate everything?
jgea

Post by jgea »

sports_wook wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 23:06 I now have an 8gb root partition and system seems much more stable.
How?

I mean have you changed the drive where TOS install or something?

Is it possible to keep the RAID drives out of the system and reconnect them afterwards without having to do a full wipe?
sports_wook

Post by sports_wook »

{L_BUTTON_AT}jgea

I had the exact same thought process as you but chose to try one final erase and rebuild the RAID. Chose that route to save money and time to get my system back running after being down for a week while trying to fix without erasing. I don't know if/when a potential fix from TM might come, and didn't want to spend money on a new system right now. So far happy with my choice, but already looking around for what my next NAS purchase will be when the time inevitably comes from another TOS issue.
jgea

Post by jgea »

But is the 8Gb partition created automatically or is it part of your RAID hard drives?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

jgea wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 05:27 But is the 8Gb partition created automatically or is it part of your RAID hard drives?
It is both. On installation (using .ins package) of TOS 5.1 the 8Gb partition is created (earlier versions only get 2Gb, obviously) to hold the operating system (TOS in this case). This partition is placed on your hard drive(s) as a mirrored raid ('mirror' is conjecture without confirmation from TM) so that with any of your drive set installed, the system should boot. Other partitions are also incorporated on your drive set both as linux ext4 partition (boot sector?) and linux raid (swap) to make this happen. Your user volumes are added after this. The user volumes essentially cannot be moved (esp btrfs raid) to allow an increase in the operating system space. (This is current TM argument)

The update packages (.bz2 package) apparently only use the existing space provided by earlier installs to hold the operating system (TOS). If TM intended to do otherwise, they are not saying.

That is why a clean wipe of the drives and fresh install is the only recommended method to achieve the desired 8Gb partition.

(I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the "party line" I'm just telling you what it is. Manipulating raid spaces can get messy quickly, without any guarantee of success. TM are constrained to advise cautious solutions.)
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
benom

Post by benom »

benom wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 00:21
benom wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 01:12
TMroy wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 12:03

May I know how did you back up your encrypted shared folder? before you can back up it, you must mount it, and the encrypted folder then became unencrypted after it is mounted. so when you back up this encrypted folder, it should be unencrypted in the backup destination. This means you should not need a key to read this unencrypted folder.
lol, of course its not encrypted on my backup!

After the backup I deleted all the partitions and did a clean install of TOS 5.1.24, configured everything and created an encrypted shared folder. Then I restored all my data from the backup. Finally I updated to from TOS 5.1.24 to 5.1.33 and from 5.1.33 to 5.1.37 and now I can't access to all the data I have on my encrypted shared folder.
So, is there any way to mount encrypted directories while Terramaster solves the problem? Perhaps through the command line?
Still waiting for a response...

Return to “Update Notice”