TOS 5.1.37 (X86) is Released for Update

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
crisisacting

Re: TOS 5.1.37 (X86) is Released for update

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
TMroy wrote: 25 Jun 2023, 19:25
crisisacting wrote: 25 Jun 2023, 17:21 Noticed that there's a newer 5.1.50 build available for the ARM based 211 device series @ https://support.terra-master.com/downlo ... uct=F2-211 (plus a mention of yet to be released 212 device series) … is there another release for ×64 imminent as well?
x64 system keeps updating. But version number between x64 and ARM could be slightly different. ARM series will not get special preferential treatment, please relax and pay attention to our update notice.
It was just an inquiry to information on your support website (you didn't even address the existence of the 212 device series). Also, if they are different, why are the 5.1.50 ARM release notes the same as the 5.1.37 ×64 release?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

5.1.50 for ARM has a wrong release note link, we will modify it soon.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jgea

Post by jgea »

I'm about to do a clean install, any recommendations?

Should I use the installer from 5.1.24?

Will it automatically generate the 8Gb system partition?

Should I do something with my RAID or disks configuration before this?

I don't want to reinstall to find I still have a 2gb partition, so any guide/recommentations are welcome!

Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

jgea wrote: 27 Jun 2023, 20:07 I'm about to do a clean install, any recommendations?

Should I use the installer from 5.1.24?

Will it automatically generate the 8Gb system partition?

Should I do something with my RAID or disks configuration before this?

I don't want to reinstall to find I still have a 2gb partition, so any guide/recommentations are welcome!

1. Backup your existing data if you want to keep it.
2. Backup your existing data if you want to keep it.
:D
3. (I am sure the TM advice will be to) wipe your hard drives. This means complete removal of ALL partitions on each and every drive to be used for the 'new' install. This usually requires taking the disks out of the NAS and connecting them to a pc or similar device to ensure that no vestige of TOS remains. [And, incidentally, to ensure the 2Gb partition is removed from every drive]

4. Reinsert all required disks into NAS
5. Install new TOS operating system (using .ins package) for your chosen version.
6. Install desired apps
7. Restore data from backup. (see note a)

NOTE:
a) If moving from TOS4 some of the apps may store their data in different places. I'm not sure about this and it may need some research.
b) Since this is a clean installation, why not go for the latest version? (5.1.37 at time)
c) As long as you have backups (steps 1 and/or 2) or your data is no longer significant and can be lost you could try using an installation package (.ins) without wiping the disks. It worked for me and preserved my data but that may have been just chance. (also see note a)
If such a move fails simply go back to step 3.
[I would really like to know if this can work for anyone else and how their system was set up. [raid?, btrfs/ext, etc].
E&OE YMMV
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
StephenNaylor

Post by StephenNaylor »

Just to expand on a few of Gremlins points....

"This usually requires taking the disks out of the NAS and connecting them to a pc or similar device to ensure that no vestige of TOS remains"

To expand on this, the way that I did this recently was to connect the ToS drives to a Windows 11 machine, start Windows Tools, Start Computer Management within Windows Tools, Start Disk Management within Computer Management. Within Disk Management Find the ToS Disk. From memory, mine had 3 or 4 partitions, one of which was 2GB. Then delete every partition on that disk. Be careful to make sure that you have the right disk selected.

@Gremlin. In case this helps with your question about partitions, my memory is that the partition sizes on my 8TB disks were something like 256MB, 2GB, Unknown and 7.x TB. I wasn't taking notes and I guess that you are somehow utilising the 3rd partition that I cannot remember.

"5. Install new TOS operating system (using .ins package) for your chosen version."
I recently did a re-install via the TNAS PC app on my windows machine. I selected the default option and it put on ToS 5.1.37 and automatically created a storage pool and volume using all 5 drives that I stuck in the NAS.

I ran into some problems where I connected to the NAS via TNAS PC and had used the logon to NAS option and it stuck on a Loading Page. To get round that I took all the drives out and restarted the NAS, and did the logon from TNAS PC again then it loaded a bootloader from the Server and said there were no disks. I then reconnected the disks without restarting the NAS and the screen updated to say that it had detected some of them. I then went "Back" to an earlier page and then forward again. It then refreshed the screen and had detected all 5 of my disks and was happily checking them.

On another install of ToS I couldn't get past the loading page that loads when you logon from TNAS PC no matter what I did. On that occasion, I think that I copied the URL that was not loading properly (in Edge) and pasted it into a different browser (Chrome) and it then worked and it loaded the bootloader. Sorry to be vague on this as I didn't take notes but It got me past a sticking point so i'll mention it here. I assume the issue was something to do with needing to clear my cache.

After installing ToS if you have multiple drives you probably should wait for the "synchronisation" of the Storage Pool and volume to complete before trying to use the machine. For me I think that this took about a day.

Before installing applications I would:
Create Users
Create User Groups (if you want to use these but I am finding in ToS 5.1.37 that user groups are not working as I would expect)
Create any Shared Folders you want to use.
Set up permissions on your shared folder, i.e. read/write permissions for any users / user groups you want to be able to use the share.

With regards to getting data back onto the NAS after rebuilding it, I was planning on mapping drives in Windows to folder shares on the NAS but I am finding that I cannot access most folder shares using User Groups so for now I have copied my data to "Public" and then used File Manager to move it to the right place on the NAS. I'll sort out the folder access issues down the line.

Hope this helps.

One other tip. If you are using Plex then consider turning off Detect Intro's and Detect Credits for video files. My NAS was running at 100% CPU until I turned those off.
jgea

Post by jgea »

Thanks for all this info, very very helpful.

Where can I download the 5.1.37 install file?
I thought the same, since it’s a new install it would be better to directly install 5.1.37.

I’m afraid I will have to wipe the partitions mainly because I need the 8Gb partition and I assume that if I try to keep the data the 8Gb partition won’t be created and the 2Gb partition will be the one used, so bad idea I think :)

What I could try is to use a single SSD that I will use a cache as the disk to be present when the OS is installed and the afterwards connect the raid drives, maybe this way I can keep the data.

Anyways I copied all the data through USB to an external disk manually so data should be fine, the worst thing I think will be the time for the RAID to be ready to go, we’ll see :)

Thanks a lot!
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences and instructions!
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

jgea wrote: 28 Jun 2023, 01:11 Where can I download the 5.1.37 install file?
All the install and update packages are on the main Terramaster Support page(s) (Not this forum).
What I could try is to use a single SSD that I will use a cache as the disk to be present when the OS is installed and the afterwards connect the raid drives, maybe this way I can keep the data.
THAT would be a bad idea imo. Last person I know tried this ran into all sorts of issues. You have to understand that the famed "2Gb system" partition is a RAID setup installed on EVERY hard drive in the NAS. If you 'new install' on only 1 drive you are breaking the system partition Raid. Which is BAD. There will still be 2GB system partitions on the old disks which, essentially, can't exist with the new 8Gb system partition. [Along with an auto installed 2Gb swap space also in RAID on EVERY disk, but that is another story. Actually, it is part of the same story that I don't think TM has explained very well if at all!]

One thing I forgot to mention ......
If you are already at TOS5.1.nn, Save your configuration before wiping your disks. Then new install the same TOS version and restore your configuration. That will at least restore user names and passwords, scheduled tasks (if you have them) although user permissions seem to be an issue. I'm not sure how deep the system configuration backup/restore goes but it saves a little work.
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
thierrys73

Post by thierrys73 »

hello

i erase all my partition of my 5 disk in traid mode with my pc win 11.
So all the partition 2GB was erase.

i reinstall 5.1.37.ins

i have recover all my datas and and the system partition is at 8GB.

i dont understand what happend but all is ok

Ps:i have 2 ssd in cash disk for volume1
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}thierrys73

Well done.

Return to “Update Notice”