Bonding Two Ethernet Ports Reporting 1gbps

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
quella

Bonding Two Ethernet Ports Reporting 1gbps

Post by quella »

I have two bonded Ethernet ports (cat6 attached to a 1gbps switch ), yet under Network -> Interface and looking at the details regarding the bonded interfaces, it says Bandwidth = 1000mbps. It seems that the bonding is not functioning as expected.

I have tried a few different modes provided when creating the aggregate bond and none seems to show 2000Mbps. Any suggestions on debugging or setting up correct bonds?

I do have a smart switch and can create a true LAG, but the modes I tried did not seem to work when I LAGed the ports on the switch. Right now I'm using Dynamic Link (802.3) and still only 1Gbps being reported in the GUI.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Bonding Two Ethernet Ports Reporting 1gbps

Post by TMzethar »

We have not observed a similar situation, what is the TNAS device and TOS version you are currently using? In addition to possible unknown reasons, you can try to update TOS to the latest version.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
quella

Post by quella »

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I am on the latest 5.1.34 version of TOS but I'm still seeing this half throughput for what I would expect to be quite a bit more. Can I ask what mode you are using for your bonding setup? I'm happy to play more but seem to be running into a wall. Thanks
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

what is your model number?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
quella

Post by quella »

Model: F4-423
TOS: 5.1.34
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Do not attempt to set aggregation on your switch. It should be passive. TNAS will take care of the aggregation. Mine shows 2000Mbps. (In fact you could terminate the cables from the TNAS to 2 separate switches to provide resiliance.)
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

quella wrote: 23 May 2023, 21:22 Model: F4-423
TOS: 5.1.34
The issue you reported has not been verified in our lab.
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
quella

Post by quella »

@Gremlin I have tried three of the modes regarding Bonded Ethernet ports and I only am seeing 1gbps not two in the GUI. I also notice very slow SMB file transfers, but fast SSH, SFTP, SCP. Odd on the bonding and the SMB slowness. I guess it will be down to troubleshooting on my end if others have not see it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

On TNAS use "Adaptive Load Balancing"
MTU == 1500

On the switch end do not use anything. (ie disable load balancing).
When established:
You should see 2 LAN ports on TNAS each with 1000 Mbps speed and bandwidth (at bottom) of 2000 Mbps
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
quella

Post by quella »

@Gremlin, thanks again for the ideas. I have one more question regarding your setup. Do you have three total IP address when the bond process is complete (Eth1/Eth2/Bond)? Or when you created your bond, did you assign one of the IPs from the two physical interfaces to the bond? The only documentation I could find was for an older TOS version and it did not really say.

Lets Say,

Eth1 = 192.168.99.101 (DHCP)
Eth2 = 192.168.99.102 (DHCP)
Bond = Would like Static 192.168.99.11

Just not sure if I should static that IP to Eth1 or Eth2.

Return to “Network & Remote Access”