System Event: Hard drive is overheated

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
MooieBoot

System Event: Hard drive is overheated

Post by MooieBoot »

I regularly get the message that my hard drive is overheated, but it never tells me which hard drive is overheated.
I've replaced my cache nvme due that was getting a bit hot (around 60 degrees farenheit), but it would be so much easier knowing which drive is getting hot.

Smart is OK, temps are all ok (all around 33 degrees farenheit), log shows nothing about this:

https://ibb.co/SnT1RyZ
https://ibb.co/DzFr4nP

So could you implement which drive is overheated and/or log this? Thanks in advance
Model is a F2-423
TMnorah
TerraMaster Team

Re: System Event: Hard drive is overheated

Post by TMnorah »

You can go to the control panel to view the system overview, and you will know which hard disk has the highest temperature. You can also click on each hard disk to see the temperature in the hard disk drop-down list.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
MooieBoot

Post by MooieBoot »

Hi,
It just happened again, got the warning e-mail, so I logged in immediately and checked, all temps are 33-35 degrees fahrenheit.
So I keep checking and there was a spike on temp readings of my nvme drive I only use for docker/virtualbox of 2 seconds going to 84 degrees fahrenheit and then back to 34 degrees fahrenheit again. This is a Samsung 980 500gb (the one I didn't replace), so the spike happends on Samsung SM961 256GB and Samsung 980 500gb and lasts 2 seconds. Will now await for it to happen on the Samsung PM981a 512GB I've installed too.

Or I have 3 nvme SSD's with broken temp sensors or there's something wrong with temp readings within TOS, it can't cool down from 84 degrees farenheit to 34 degrees (which it shows all day when I check) within 2 seconds
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Can you send us the S.M.A.R.T. report of the SAMSUNG SSD to study?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
outkastm

Post by outkastm »

MooieBoot wrote: 04 May 2023, 02:30 Hi,
It just happened again, got the warning e-mail, so I logged in immediately and checked, all temps are 33-35 degrees fahrenheit.
So I keep checking and there was a spike on temp readings of my nvme drive I only use for docker/virtualbox of 2 seconds going to 84 degrees fahrenheit and then back to 34 degrees fahrenheit again. This is a Samsung 980 500gb (the one I didn't replace), so the spike happends on Samsung SM961 256GB and Samsung 980 500gb and lasts 2 seconds. Will now await for it to happen on the Samsung PM981a 512GB I've installed too.

Or I have 3 nvme SSD's with broken temp sensors or there's something wrong with temp readings within TOS, it can't cool down from 84 degrees farenheit to 34 degrees (which it shows all day when I check) within 2 seconds
Have you updated the firmware of your Nvme drives to the latest version?
MooieBoot

Post by MooieBoot »

I don't think that's possible through TOS? I do have a laptop with 2 nvme slots on which I could load one up and try that
MooieBoot

Post by MooieBoot »

TMroy wrote: 04 May 2023, 23:17 Can you send us the S.M.A.R.T. report of the SAMSUNG SSD to study?
Both are Samsung, the smart readings are very weird to be honest, power-on hours are way low while they're in the F2-423 for about 6 months when I received the unit. Will try to update the firmware and check again
outkastm

Post by outkastm »

it is possible also through TOS via SSH but is not straight forward.
I've updated mine and get rid of the high temp spike warnings.

Return to “System Resources”