File Manager: How can I run two instantiations?

Discussion of applications not mentioned above.
bidmead
Great Britain

File Manager: How can I run two instantiations?

Post by bidmead »

In the absence of the ability to create multiple tabs in File Manager, I'm trying to run two different instantiations of the app as a means of copying files between two directories. But it appears that once one copy of File Manager is running in a browser tab there's no way of running a second copy in that same tab.

Using two tabs, each browsing the same TOS5 WebUI, seems as if it might be a workaround. Sadly, each tab has its own clipboard, so copy and paste between tabs doesn't work.

So currently I'm having to copy a file from a directory in File Manager, then change the directory and paste into that new directory. This is tedious if you're working serially on multiple files.

I realise I'm probably missing something here. Can anybody bale me out?

--
Chris
bidmead
Great Britain

Re: File Manager: How can I run two instantiations?

Post by bidmead »

I swear that at one time it was possible to go back and edit an earlier post here. But I don't seem to be able to do that now.

I just wanted to clarify "Sadly, each tab has its own clipboard, so copy and paste between tabs doesn't work." It's the instantiation of the File Manager and/or the TOS5 WebUI in the two different tabs that each has its own clipboard. The file copy and paste mechanism here doesn't use the browser's own clipboard.

--
Chris
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The new tag feature will be introduced for file manager in TOS 6.0. With the new feature, you can operate your tasks easily within tags.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

Thanks for that, @TMroy. Good news. Although I would have marginally preferred tabbing or individual instantiations.

I'm currently experimenting with something along the lines of tags -- using Favorites and/or Desktop Shortcuts. Making Desktop Shortcuts of the two directories you're working with seems to be a reasonable workflow.

Depending on what you want to do, you might need to experiment to see whether to shortcut your working directory, the one above it, or a subdirectory. Then open the source shortcut to find the file you want to copy. Close that shortcut, open the target shortcut and paste as appropriate. Not optimal but the smoothest workflow I've been able to achieve so far. Suggestion welcome.

(Just discovered, though, that I shouldn't be copying and pasting large files out of an @snapshot directory back into the original snapshotted directory because that really, really eats capacity. Must learn to do proper restores.)

--
Chris

Return to “Others”