D5-300 is glacially slow

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
Chief
United States of America

Re: D5-300 is glacially slow

Post by Chief »

I recently purchased a D5-300 to load up with some files and give to someone for their birthday. It's loaded with five 4TB HGST drives left over from a recently upgrade to a DrivePool array.

Disliked having to download an app to set things up, but that part went smoothly.

Beyond that, initially my experience was like others have mentioned here - very slow transfers from computer to the D5-300, usually around 20MB/s, maybe up to 40 if it was just a few files. Didn't matter which USB port it was plugged into, or which cable I used.

Later I moved the D5-300 to another computer, and the difference was noticeable. Transfer of a large number of files starts at a very fast rate, at or above 200MB/s, then tapers off to about 90-120MB/s, which I find acceptable for TB's of files at a time. It's about as fast or faster than my NAS devices.

The big difference between these (Windows 10, 64-bit) computers is that the slow one is Intel-based, while the fast one is AMD.

While that means different silicon and firmware, of course, I think the problem may actually be with the drivers for the USB 3.x eXtensible Host Controller(s). Which we unfortunately don't seem to have a lot of control over, at least in Windows.

Don't know that this info will help anyone else, but it might, so here you go.

Return to “USB Series”